1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Samamp Bass Preamp. Prototype tube preamp. SAMamp

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by stingray56funk, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Samamp Bass Preamp. Made by Sam Timberlake here in Birmingham, AL. He is well known for his boutique guitar amps and cabinets, but he also dabbles in bass preamps. This is the 4th and most recent Samamp Bass Preamp Prototype that Sam has developed. His website is: http://www.samamp.com/

***If you were thinking of grabbing a Demeter, Aguilar, Alembic, Trace Elliot V-Type, Ampeg SVP-CL, or any other super nice preamp then you really should give this a chance. This is my favorite preamp I've ever owned but it has to go because I need a Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout to gig with around town and I don't have the $$$ to have both.***

Features:-12ax7 and 12au7 preamp tubes
    -Gain, Bass, Mid, Treble,
    -2 separate outputs w/ volume control for each. Great if you want to run one output to a poweramp and one to a DI or to another poweramp. Versatility!
    -All point-to-point wiring and top spec parts.
    -Cool Hammond radio chassis w/ leather handle

Including my Igloo Cooler and foam to carry the Samamp Bass Preamp. Your buddies will think you are bringing the beer...you tell them you are bringing the bass!

Sounds like a B-15N preamp. Nice gain structure allows some furriness to appear in your sound past 12 o'clock. It'll do some pretty serious distortion as well. The great places, depending on the bass you use, for a nice round clean tone is 10-11 o'clock. Very B-15ish. The tone controls are passive like the B-15...I think it is called Baxhall type tone controls?

This is a studio giant for a preamp. I've used this on numerous recordings lately and it sounds amazing. Again...like a B-15N or like an A-Designs REDDI w/ tone controls and more gain.

Ask any questions you like! I had Sam's 3rd version of his bass preamp until he came out with the 4th version two months ago and offered to upgrade mine for free. I've owned the box for over one year and there is absolutely no damage...this is my studio tool and going direct tool primarily.

I originally paid $625 for this preamp. I'm offering this super cheap, IMO, so that I can get a smaller gigging amp that I'm looking at.

PRICE: $465 shipped and insured!!!

DSC_0110.
    DSC_0112.
    DSC_0111.
    DSC_0113.

2. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    folks this preamp is the shiznitz !!!! think ampeg , hear ampeg !!!!!

3. Jordan, did you have him upgrade this one? I wonder what the upgrade consists of...

4. funkometer

funkometer Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    Upgrade is diff wiring and an additional direct out. Looks like his has the upgrade. Just got mine upgraded here recently as well. Great amp, although it seems us guys here in Al are the only ones who've played em.

5. How do these sound with Active basses? (Modulus Q5)

What is the switch on the back?

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Are the outputs balanced or unbalanced?

7. stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    It is the most recent version...upgraded exactly as Funkometer said: different wiring and another 1/4" output. The third prototype, which was my first Samamp had a 6SL7 and 12au7 as the preamp tubes. The new 4th prototype has a 12ax7 and 12au7. I was reluctant to change preamp tube types but Sam reasured me that the new one was his favorite and going to be the last update to this preamp. I was amazed that the 12ax7 sounded fuller and was able to get better distortion than the 6SL7...hearing is believing.

8. stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Sound exactly the same. I played my BB5000 w/ EMG BQS system through the preamp for days and it worked the same as my passive BB1000MA. Thick, full, but still very articulate.

9. stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Both of the outputs are unbalanced. I use the first output to control my volume into my DI and the second output to go to my poweramp. I've never had the volume up past 11 o'clock to drive my poweramp to just before clipping. This really is a super versatile preamp.

10. stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    pm replied to

11. funkometer

funkometer Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    Pre works great with my sadowsky, passive and active. Plenty of signal to send to any preamp or DI.

12. stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Taylor...you are super right about signal. I came out to one of your cover gigs at Rogue Tavern and you sounded killer with your black Sadowsky!

Ladies and Gents...this preamp is the real deal.

13. I am going to have to stop visiting TB you guys are killing me here with my quest for all that sounds incredible.
    Must stop buying cool stuff.:D

14. stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Cool stuff coming your way! SOLD to FuzzBoxVoodoo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.