1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SamAsh sold me the wrong strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, May 3, 2006.

1. Edit: Well, let me preface this. It was a mixture of an uninformed sales person and my in experience in buying strings for this particular bass..

I've been looking for new strings for my Schecter California Custom 4 (jazz copy). The problem is, its 35in scale. It orginally have Elixirs on them (.45-.105).. Well, I didnt feel like spending the $$ on Elixirs so I asked the guy for a different set. He sold me D'Addario Nickelwounds (.45-.105) long scales. I've played D'Addarios before so I felt comfortable with them and, since he said they were long scale, believed they would fit.

Well, I bring them home and the taper on the E string is halfway through the F and ends on the F#. Its no where close to as long as it needs to be. Granted, the strings are strung through the body. I clipped the end off of the E string though

So, I have two options. First of all, will they let me exchange the strings for something else even through the E string was clipped?? Or, should I just not string them through the body and just directly through the bridge, hope they are long enough, and keep the set??

Any help?

2. I'd say try stringing through the bridge. If that doesn't alleviate the problem, try going back to SA. However I don't think they'll take the strings back, unless the salesman happens to be in a good mood.

3. Funny.. I just tried stringing the E string directly on the bridge rather than through the body.. Still isnt long enough. There is about 1/4 of taper between the nut and 1st fret.. Thats really odd for long scale strings..

4. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    From their website:
    ---------------------------------------

You cannot always tell the strings you need just by the scale length of your bass. Some basses are strung through the body, and the distances from the bridge to where the ballend locks in or the distance from the nut to the pegs are not standard on all guitars. The best way to figure out the correct strings for sure is to:

1) Assuming your bass has strings on it, mark the lowest pitched string (while on your bass) at the nut with a marker.

2) Remove the string.

3) Measure the distance from the inner edge of the ball end to the mark you just made.

4 ) Record this length, and refer to the following chart:

Length String Scale Required
    Up to 32" DAddario Short
    32 to 34 DAddario Medium
    34 to 36 DAddario Long
    36 to 38 DAddario Super Long

--------------------------------------------
    regards,

Mike

5. Thanks! I noticed that info myself. Obviously, I need Super Long's.. The problem is if I eat these strings or not though.. Hopefully they'll work with me and let me get something else..

6. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Unfortunately D'Addario long scale will only fit 34" thru bridge as you have found out. They make super longs for a little more money. Good luck getting your money back.

Dave

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    No offense, but if you've already clipped the E string, I wouldn't let you trade it back in. I don't understand why you clipped it when the string obviously didn't even come close to fitting.

8. It was my own stupidity.. I thought the taper was by the bridge instead of up by the tuner. I didn't even notice that it was up there until I strung it up.

Im just going to keep the strings.. No big deal.. I'm not even going to bother trying to get my money back..

9. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    i had the 5 string version of that bass, awesome bass, the elixer nanos are all i foudn that will fit it, but they last a good 6 months or so. they are $45 a set or about that