Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Same as QSC ? Yeah, right!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I saw this auction on ebay (auction # 3743071949.) The auction is for a Sonetic power amp. I cut and pasted Q&A posted by the seller.

Q: this amp looks exactly like the qsc 900? must be the same company answered on: Aug-27-04
    A: Yes it is

Q: you say its 425x2 thats a little info so more would be great is it 425x2 at 8ohm or 4ohm what is it whats the watts bridged thanks answered on: Aug-26-04
    A: 425 x 2 @ 4 Ohms or 850 x 1 @ 8 Ohms

Q: Hi!what is the rating at 8 ohms at both channels driven?Any Cosmetic or functional issues?If I win this auction, can I suggest a shipping method?I live...more answered on: Aug-23-04
    A: 4 ohms per channel and 8 ohms mono

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It's actually just like the USA 850, not quite exactly like the USA 900.

Sonetics amps were a line made by QSC for about a year or so, from 1993 to 1994. They were sort of an experiment in marketing amps as somewhat "commodity" products.

There were three models, all exactly like the early USA models except for the cosmetics:

• Sonetics 185 = USA 370
    • Sonetics 425 = USA 850
    • Sonetics 650 = USA 1300

They were available to any dealer who wanted to sell them, regardless of whether they were QSC dealers or not, and they had warranties of just one year, to distinguish them from the regular QSC line. They didn't say "QSC" on them anywhere except for a label on the back, where it said it was manufactured by QSC Audio Products.

For a number of reasons, the Sonetics line wasn't popular enough to survive. The prominent lack of the QSC brand name didn't help it, and regular QSC dealers didn't like the fact that any dealer, even if it was just some guy running a mail-order operation out of his garage, could carry them.

3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Before you replied I tried to search for information on the internet. Not much available. I did find a Adobe file with a parts list for discontinued QSC stuff. Would QSC work on it (non warranty?)

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Absolutely.

5. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    ...cause I went and bought the thing....

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    If you would like an owner's manual, e-mail me at bob_lee@qscaudio.com and I'll send you a PDF of the old USA Series manual (we don't have any PDF of the Sonetics manual, but it was based on the USA one anyway).

7. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Thanks for the information!

8. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I received my Sonetic 425 on Saturday (Thanks FEDEX Home Delivery!) The amp arrived in really nice shape. I fired it up and it functions perfectly. Sounds warmer than the Carvin that just blew. I really lucked out- I won the auction for $160.00.