1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Same" Bass Collectors

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stonedmotus, Apr 14, 2010.

1. stonedmotus

stonedmotus

Dec 10, 2009
    anyone collect a specific model only, ex: Peavey T-40, Gibson Grabber, Ibanez Musician, etc... let's see some pics of (1) model collections.

2. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I'd love a collection of dirnts... or roscoe LGs, or warwick starbasses. or gibson EB2s lol

3. stonedmotus

stonedmotus

Dec 10, 2009
    i would'nt mind having a few Kubicki's (X-Factors)

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm not a "collector," as over the years I have sold each of these to finance another that is closer to the perfect specs for me, but I have owned a whole lot of Elrick singlecuts. I currently only own last two pictured, although I would own more if money permitted:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. MTMTEX

MTMTEX Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    austin tx.
    I have 2 Peavey TL5's and 3 TL6's. The sixes are the finest instrument I have ever played.

100_1084.

6. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I like the clear progression upwards in number of strings. Did you get more experimental/exploratory/adventurous, or did you get it for the ease of playing without switching positions that often? A combination?

(My transition from from fours to fives was purely driven by ease of playing in the same position, I might move to sixes soon)

7. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Kinda sorta. But since they are cheap, I kinda get the impression this is not exactly what the OP had in mind:
    Picture024. SX016-1.
    P1000035. DSC00193.
    P1000045. SX_SSTSJB005.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Those aren't in chronological order- I just put them in string count order. My progression in string count was very, very odd. Started on 4, wanted a 6 almost immediately. I bought a couple old Bill Dickens tapes from the 80s where he used a 6-string Smith, and I was floored by the versatility and ease that a 6 could give, as well as the variety of tones playing the same note on different strings could provide. Bought a 5 a year later as there were no 6s around (this was the mid/late 90s), played the 5 for five years straight, then proceeded to go between 5s, 6s, and 7s over the next six or seven years, with a short foray back to 4-strings (didn't last too long- they're great fun, but I felt really limited). I always wanted to stick with just 6s or maybe 7s, but I never found the specs I was really comfortable with, so I kept switching around string counts until about two years ago when I found one that was about perfect. I've only been using sixes since then.

9. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Oh okay. I'll admit I'm a little spoiled by my fiver, my four gets very little love as I always want to cover more ground than there is real estate and end up switching positions awkwardly and often.

I find it amusing when people say "Oooh, a five-string! You must be good!" For me, after a few months of adjustment, five was A LOT easier than four to play.

10. That is a lot of SX for one man!

11. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Yes... pass that fretless jazz over here!

12. stonedmotus

stonedmotus

Dec 10, 2009
    very cool, i had no price range in mind, just the same bass.

13. stonedmotus

stonedmotus

Dec 10, 2009
    wow, impressive. do you miss any of the earlier ones?

14. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    This is a fun thread! Liking all of these.

Bryan, I'm inviting myself over one of these days.

15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I miss the fretted 4 a lot- it's very similar to my current two 6s in that it has a 34" scale and the same body woods. It wouldn't get played much, but I'd buy it back if I had the dough. I really hated selling the 6 with the maple board- only sold it due to hard financial times unlike most of the other that I sold to try out a different Elrick- but the shorter scale of my current 6 is preferable.

The fretless 4 was also very unique in that I had it built with four Hipshot Xtenders, ala Michael Manring's Hyperbass, but I didn't take advantage of it as much as I thought I would.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Beer and pizza or Indian food is on me :)

17. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Three Riverhead Jupiters and always on the look out for more.

DSC_2595.

EDIT: I should add that I do have other basses, but I don't consider those collections. I have made a point of collecting Riverhead Guitars/Basses

18. If I could sell off my Austin MM yard sale copy, I'd be down to just Jazz basses. Always like the look of them, and now that I've played several, love the feel and sound too.

BnB

19. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Which one? The 62 (rosewood) or the 57 (maple)?

20. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Funny, my wife said the same thing! LOL

But now that they have changed the headstock, I doubt that I will be adding many, if any, more. In fact when I saw the new headstock, I started buying the LPBs to get as many original headstock models as I could before they were all gone. I find it funny that the LPBs were the last to get sold off, especially since I think it is SX's nicest non-transparent color, :cool: