1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Same bass twice club?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emblymouse, Apr 6, 2009.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Well, I've crossed that line into lunacy- I've gone and bought the same bass twice. I've watched and chuckled to myself as others have sold a bass, only to buy it's twin again, or even the very same bass back!

In my case, it's a Lakland Skyline Jerry Scheff. Shoreline Gold. A perfect combination of clean good looks, singular sound and odd ball panache. It was nice and light too, and I got it for a song. It was my first Lakland and led to my working relationship with them.
    Long story short, after a few years I sold it in a frenzy to get a certain Japanese Jazz (which I still own). I do prefer the thinner Jazz neck at this stage of life. I pretended I didn't miss it, but every now and again one would show up and I'd realize I was fooling myself.
    Anyway, the planets aligned the other day and a nice Scheff appeared just as I had $ in my pocket from an amp sale. I feel foolish, but satisfied.:) Could this be the end of G.A.S.?

2. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Embly:

so that was YOUR EXACT BASS!? Now I do not feel so slighted (LOL!!!)! I saw it and was going to go after it but when I got to the bottom of the thread, it was already closed!!!!

you acted fast!!! congrats!!!

3. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I spotted my old Walnut Precision Special on eBay.
    I snagged it for a few hundred less than I sold it for two years earlier.
    After repairing a botched nut replacement, it played better than ever.

2fc38c6f.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I've owned the exact same Modulus Quantum 6 twice. Sold it, then a year later bought it back from the guy.

I'm now on my third Warwick Streamer Stage One 5 string--had two of them a couple years ago, sold em, and now bought a new one because I missed having one.

I've also owned 4 different Roscoe SKB3006's, but each one was different, so they really don't count here, I guess.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Not the exact same bass, but same make/model/color, twice. A Ric 4001 mapleglo, (1976) my first Ric, sold off years ago. Replaced it a few years back with a 1977 model, which is now gone, too. And, my 2nd Ric, a 1985 4003 jetglo, was sold off in 1992, and replaced in 2006 with another, which I still have. The newer one is the best Ric I've ever owned. Not gonna do it again, but I'm keeping what I have now forever.

6. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    No, not my actual old bass! Sorry if I was not real clear. Just the exact same thing, deja vu all over again! I am laughing at myself for doing this, but at the same time it was the right thing to do and it only took 30 seconds to realize it. That's why it disappeared so fast!
    Now if I can just find another Kingston double cutaway sunburst like my first bass....:meh:

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've done it so many times I can't even begin to count. :(

8. Sorry, GAS is like AIDS: Lethal, and you have it for life.

9. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    In '76 I bought a factory fretless P new.
    Somewhere along the way I got a '77 J (maple on maple on ash - blocks & all)

The P was my main bass for 15 years - 6 nights/week.

Around '90 I gased for a Smith and sold both for $1400 - just enough to buy a Burner - I know, I know - idiot.

Skimmin' the 'Bay a few years back I see my fless P for sale about 100 miles away - every ding and burn were there - I made 'em.

So, needless to say I got the P back for $800 - where's the J - that's the one worth $$$$ :crying:

10. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    i have a feeling im really gonna miss that bass, hopefully the one that will be replacing it will help me get over it, also i still own the fretless scheff.

11. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Thanks Matty! But you better be careful, I used to have a fretless Scheff too...gee it was swell...:D

12. My 1989 MIK Squier Precision Bass,bought by my Girlfriend in April 1998.Bought back by her for me in December 2008.

13. I had an "07" ESP LTD B155 in amberburst, and sold it to get a new "08" LTD B155DX because of the beautiful trans blue it came in forgetting all about the fact that I didn't like the neck plus it had some other problems so I sold it too. It sure was beautiful though.

14. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    I bought an OLP MM2 a while ago. Nice bass, and I liked it. Passed it on to finance something else. Found myself buying another OLP MM2 two years later. Nice bass, and I like it. Passed it on to finance something else. Found myself.... *lol*
    Well, not a third time so far. But who knows?

15. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    im keeping the fretless forever, unless the one you had comes up for sale:ninja:

16. Its kinda ironic I came across this thread this morning cause I just got off the phone from ordering an Epiphone Nikki Sixx Blackbird. I think its gonna compliment my Epiphone Thunderbird Goth pretty nicely.

Also coming soon, my Sunburst Epiphone Thunderbird. Does anyone see a trend??

17. http://cgi.ebay.com/NeW-Ernie-Ball-MUSIC-MAN-OLP-MM2-Bass-Guitar-Natural_W0QQitemZ140311918006QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item140311918006&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Can lightning strike thrice?

:D:D:D

I want a P-Bass that can be better than my Squier P.Maybe one with 24 frets..if they ever build one.

18. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Done it twice

Warwick Fortress One

Lakland 44-02. I traded the 44-02 to mattygbass for a spector. Hated the spector the second I plugged it in to practice. Gave it half a set at a gig, sold it on ebay and bought another 44-02 here.

19. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I have 2 Curbow basses, and if they were still here, I'd have them build me another.

G

20. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    I will be the 2nd and 5th owner of this bass