same brand or mix&match?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkpunker, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Hi, I have been looking into upgrading my amp, from a simple combo amp to a head and cabinet/s. I was just wondering whether or not people prefer to use just one brand (e.g. Ampeg head, Ampeg cabinets) or to use a couple of brands (e.g. Mesa head with Eden cabinets).

I was just wondering whether brands tend to go well together, or if it is just personal choice. If you could also tell me what you use as well, that would be great for giving me a few ideas.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It depends, some brands have better cabs than amps or vice versa, or you like the cabs but want a different amp concept etc.

No brand I ever tested had any special synergy when you used their amps and cabs, compared to a mixed and matched rig of similar quality.

Do what you like (and can afford).
  3. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    it really comes down to what sounds good to you. I'm a huge mesa fan myself and currently use an all mesa rig. Some companies however only make great cabs or great heads in which case mixing brands can get you some great sounds as well. I'd start by finding a head with the tone and features that suit you and then try different cabs with it to find your sound.