Same finish on all your basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BoiNtC, May 8, 2003.

1. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I would like a 3tone burst on my next purchase (Probably a '75 reissue jazz), and a 3tone burst on my purchase after that (a '62 P Bass set up like Jamerson's, unless I get the P first, I'll get the Jazz second) and I have a Jaco with a 3 tone burst... I was thinking is it strange to have all the same finish on all your basses? Or do a lotta people do this? (Well they'll all be the same finish but the J-Bass will probably have J-Covers on it and the P the P-bass covers.. and the jaco won't have any covers or the tort guard)
  2. Well, maybe it's strange, but I have owned many basses and guitars and most of them had a sunburst or tobacco burst finish. My first bass, my first good guitar, my current acoustic, and the MPG I almost got from ebay. Not to mention a Grendel I almost bought too. Weird.

I finally ended up with a roscoe with an oil finish over burl maple top and swamp ash body. Anyone trade for a sunburst???

Stay Low,

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If all your basses were fluorescent green, then yeah, I might call you weird! :D I doubt anyone else is gonna notice all your basses are 'bursts.
  4. Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    I have three basses...all Fenders...all black.

1. MIM Fender P (with BadAss II bridge)
    2. Geddy Lee Fender Jazz
    3. MIA fretless Fender Jazz

it is kinda weird, but hey who cares?:D
  5. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    My first was a Forest Green shiny Washburn.
    My second bass was a man-made gray material (Ibanez EDB605)
    My Latest bass is a Natural Bubinga Warwick Corvette.

I think I'm the complete opposite of ahving them all inthe same design :p
  6. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ever since I saw The Flaming Sideburns (if you are into the nowadays-trendy garage rock or Scandinavian rock you might know them) on stage, especially the other guitarists purple sparkle strat, I've been drooling after sparkle finishes. Quite a difference from my black Kingston and natural Warwick!

Oh, the gig was awesome, that might have something to do with it ;)
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Black is always cool and never goes out of style, Tonto!
  8. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i only have one instrument that isn't brown (either natural wood or sunburst)...

and it's blue sparkle :smug:
  9. Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    But man, does it suck keeping them clean!!
  10. I'm a black bass kinda guy as well - black Rickenbacker, and a black Geddy Lee. I'm tossing around the idea of buying a friend's MIM Jazz, which is also black, and I'm saving up to buy a Wal next year... which will DEFINITELY be black! After that, I hope to acquire a Czechtor neck-through 5 string... in black, and then a Steinberger XL... in black.

Weird, perhaps, but I just love the look of a black bass. It sure does go with everything! A black bass doesn't look out of style anywhere. kidding. Ah well, when they're all polished up and shiny, and you can see yourself in the mirror-like finish, it's so worth it :)

11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    80's hair metal? I mean, wouldn't lime green or nuclear burst puke be more appropriate? :D
  12. Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    I have the same finish on all my basses.

....But then I've only got one bass.