Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Same finish on all your basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BoiNtC, May 8, 2003.

1. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I would like a 3tone burst on my next purchase (Probably a '75 reissue jazz), and a 3tone burst on my purchase after that (a '62 P Bass set up like Jamerson's, unless I get the P first, I'll get the Jazz second) and I have a Jaco with a 3 tone burst... I was thinking is it strange to have all the same finish on all your basses? Or do a lotta people do this? (Well they'll all be the same finish but the J-Bass will probably have J-Covers on it and the P the P-bass covers.. and the jaco won't have any covers or the tort guard)

2. Well, maybe it's strange, but I have owned many basses and guitars and most of them had a sunburst or tobacco burst finish. My first bass, my first good guitar, my current acoustic, and the MPG I almost got from ebay. Not to mention a Grendel I almost bought too. Weird.

I finally ended up with a roscoe with an oil finish over burl maple top and swamp ash body. Anyone trade for a sunburst???

Stay Low,

Basstrader

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If all your basses were fluorescent green, then yeah, I might call you weird! :D I doubt anyone else is gonna notice all your basses are 'bursts.

4. Tonto_Goldstein

Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I have three basses...all Fenders...all black.

1. MIM Fender P (with BadAss II bridge)
    2. Geddy Lee Fender Jazz
    3. MIA fretless Fender Jazz

it is kinda weird, but hey who cares?:D

5. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    My first was a Forest Green shiny Washburn.
    My second bass was a man-made gray material (Ibanez EDB605)
    My Latest bass is a Natural Bubinga Warwick Corvette.

I think I'm the complete opposite of ahving them all inthe same design :p

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ever since I saw The Flaming Sideburns (if you are into the nowadays-trendy garage rock or Scandinavian rock you might know them) on stage, especially the other guitarists purple sparkle strat, I've been drooling after sparkle finishes. Quite a difference from my black Kingston and natural Warwick!

Oh, the gig was awesome, that might have something to do with it ;)

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Black is always cool and never goes out of style, Tonto!

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i only have one instrument that isn't brown (either natural wood or sunburst)...

and it's blue sparkle :smug:

9. Tonto_Goldstein

Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Chicago
    But man, does it suck keeping them clean!!

10. I'm a black bass kinda guy as well - black Rickenbacker, and a black Geddy Lee. I'm tossing around the idea of buying a friend's MIM Jazz, which is also black, and I'm saving up to buy a Wal next year... which will DEFINITELY be black! After that, I hope to acquire a Czechtor neck-through 5 string... in black, and then a Steinberger XL... in black.

Weird, perhaps, but I just love the look of a black bass. It sure does go with everything! A black bass doesn't look out of style anywhere.

...no kidding. Ah well, when they're all polished up and shiny, and you can see yourself in the mirror-like finish, it's so worth it :)

--jeff

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    80's hair metal? I mean, wouldn't lime green or nuclear burst puke be more appropriate? :D

12. Desdenova

Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    I have the same finish on all my basses.

....But then I've only got one bass.