Same fret, different string

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by knash2112, Jul 20, 2001.

1. knash2112

Dec 12, 2000
    Whenever I am trying to play to consecutive notes on the same fret but different (usually adjacent) strings, I am constantly second guessing myself as to whether I should finger them with different fingers (i.e., one with the index, the next with the middle finger) or if I should try to 'roll' a single finger between the strings.

Is there any kind of general rule you guys follow in this situation, or is it something that needs to be worked out on a case by case situation?

Any and all comments are appreciated.

2. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    I sometimes to the "rolling" thing, but, what is much more useful is playing the single finger as a bar accross the one fret. That way, you don't have to worry about moving your fingers, but you will have to play with your hand very flat against the fingerboard. I prefer the second, but do what feels right.

NB: The bar finger idea may not work if you wear your bass very low.
  3. I use the bar thing mostly but I always make sure to use the floating thumb technique when doing this so the first note doesn't ring.
  4. the "rolling" has always worked for me. Single fretting is a pain in the arse, barring causes the notes to ring, and i hate the floating thumb thing.
  5. I play with the each-string-has-a-different-finger technique. It takes a lot of finger strength to do it consistently, but it feels much more solid, for me.

7th fret G string - Index finger
    8th fret D string - Ring Finger
    8th Fret A string - Middle Finger
  6. When it comes to situations like this, you have to assume a guitarists mentality. I play a song that goes like this:

So, I assume this finger shape:

|-5-| Index
    |-6-| Ring

I don't like's an unnatuiral hand position on a bass.
  7. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    that'll look a little bit like this: