Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Same fret, different string

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by knash2112, Jul 20, 2001.

1. knash2112

knash2112

Dec 12, 2000
    Whenever I am trying to play to consecutive notes on the same fret but different (usually adjacent) strings, I am constantly second guessing myself as to whether I should finger them with different fingers (i.e., one with the index, the next with the middle finger) or if I should try to 'roll' a single finger between the strings.

Is there any kind of general rule you guys follow in this situation, or is it something that needs to be worked out on a case by case situation?

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

2. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    I sometimes to the "rolling" thing, but, what is much more useful is playing the single finger as a bar accross the one fret. That way, you don't have to worry about moving your fingers, but you will have to play with your hand very flat against the fingerboard. I prefer the second, but do what feels right.

NB: The bar finger idea may not work if you wear your bass very low.

3. I use the bar thing mostly but I always make sure to use the floating thumb technique when doing this so the first note doesn't ring.

4. the "rolling" has always worked for me. Single fretting is a pain in the arse, barring causes the notes to ring, and i hate the floating thumb thing.

5. I play with the each-string-has-a-different-finger technique. It takes a lot of finger strength to do it consistently, but it feels much more solid, for me.

ex.

7th fret G string - Index finger
    8th fret D string - Ring Finger
    8th Fret A string - Middle Finger

6. When it comes to situations like this, you have to assume a guitarists mentality. I play a song that goes like this:

|------------5-|
    |------6-------|
    |--------------|
    |-6-66----6----|

So, I assume this finger shape:

|-5-| Index
    |-6-| Ring
    |---|
    |-6-|Middle

I don't like barring...it's an unnatuiral hand position on a bass.

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    that'll look a little bit like this:
    [​IMG]