1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Same Fret, Different Strings Technique help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Quatzu, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Quatzu

Quatzu

Jul 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Hi guys. I'm still pretty new, so I've got a technique question:

What do you guys feel is the best fret hand technique for alternating notes between strings on the same fret? Do you bar both strings with an index finger, or just sort of cram your index and middle fingers in there?

For an example of this, see Davey Faragher's work on Elvis Costello's Tart. A wonderful song and, in my opinion, a great bassline. Here's a link: http://www.last.fm/music/Elvis+Costello/_/Tart

Early on, he plays very crisp and clean 16ths - B,F#,B,F# and continues to play similar patterns throughout the song. Pretty basic movement found in many many songs, but I'm still learning.

How would you guys play this? Is this one finger barred across two strings? With which hand is he muting to get those crisp staccato notes? I don't know how to play like this without the strings ringing out.

Hope this makes sense, and I appreciate the help in advance.

2. bearshimmy

bearshimmy

Feb 14, 2005
    closer to the nut I use two fingers, higher up the neck I bar the notes because the frets get closer together and using two fingers can hurt your hand.

3. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    I tend to just bar them myself. No reason other than thats how I started doing it.

4. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    It's called a pressure roll or a string roll, and it's a very important technique to clean left hand performance. String players (upright bass, cello, viola, violin, etc) deal with this thing also. The trick isn't necessarily baring the strings, but getting your finger at an angle where it can slide off one string and onto the next without bending the first string. It can take some practice, and is best learned from demonstration from a teacher. Ed Friedland's Hal Leonard Bass method has some pictures of it, however, if you're not quite sure what I'm talking about.

5. Quatzu

Quatzu

Jul 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Now we're onto something. Thanks guys.

Unfortunately, lessons are something that will have to wait for a while, so if anyone wants to explain a little more, that would be greatly appreciated.