1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Same mic/mics for home-practice-gigs?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by barricwiley, Jan 10, 2012.

1. barricwiley

barricwiley

Jun 5, 2011
    Northern VA
    Any mics you love for all or each situation?
    Good microphones not being inexpensive I would appreciate recommendations from experienced musicians. Thanks much, Richard

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What situation would that be? Vocals? Micing a cab?

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    The majority of bands use Shure vocal and instrument mics for one or both of these reasons:

(1) They are hella durable.
    (2) They sound pretty good for a reasonable price - $99 street for the venerable SM58 and SM 57.

Other companies make mics that are every bit as good on both these points as Shure. My favorite non-Shure brand is probably AKG. I have played at clubs that used Audix mics that I thought sounded very good indeed. Today's Stupid Deal at Musicians Friend is an Electro-Voice vocal mic for $39.99. It's probably OK. However, I am not real encouraged by the product description that includes the phrase "palatable mid range".

Shure is not by any means the be-all, end-all. For micing guitar amps, I prefer the Sennheiser E609 ($110) over the Shure SM57 ($99). And I happen to use Audix drum mics, but there are equally good drum mics made by other companies, including Shure. I use an AKG D112 kick drum mic ($199), but there are many other fine ones across a wide range of prices, including the Shure Beta 52A ($189).

The popularity of Shure mics is kind of like the story about why most barns are red. Farmers will tell you they paint their barns red because red paint is cheaper than any other color. Hardware and paint store owners will tell you that red barn paint is the cheapest because they sell so much more of it than any other color.

4. barricwiley

barricwiley

Jun 5, 2011
    Northern VA
    Dang, what a dunce I am.

Mics for vocals.
    Sorry :+{

Thanks for the advice so far, appreciated.

5. I hoard USA Peavey Mics... PVM22, PVM48, etc... if you watch eblay you can often find them in the $20 each range... they will compete (or win) over my SM58s and SM57s

At least they're small and cheap -- good thing to be obsessive about.

After being around, I like leaving all the road gear in road cases... and home gear setup.

6. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    My $.02 would be EVs. Used ND series can be had cheap.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There are better mics on the market, but my voice always works with a plain old SM-58 for live work. Naturally, in the studio I'll use their mics, but for live work, the 58 is the best compromise between sound, ease of use, noise rejection, durability, acceptance of sloppy mic technique, etc.

8. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    You're making me want my old 58 back, Jimmy. I like my Beta 87A, but I kinda miss the 58.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    My voice sounds bad with an 87 or the other Beta mics. Too bright, too airy. My voice is not subtle.

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    We use SM58's for vocals as well. No complaints.

11. Another vote for a typical SM58. Durable, cheap and sounds great.

Audix, Sennheiser, AKG all have great vocal mics, too, but I've been using the Shure's for 35 years. Old habits...

12. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I've never heard anyone sound bad through a Beta 58.

Have you used any of the Heil mics? I really want to try one.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The Beta 58 is too trebly for my tastes. That extra high end does me no favors. And I have used the Heil PR35, which is an excellent excellent mic that I nearly bought, but in the end I decided that my mic technique is too sloppy for it. You have to be right on it all the time or else your voice disappears. The 58 is a lot more forgiving.

14. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Good ole 58's. Everyone in my band uses em with the notable exception of the lead singer. He prefers the 57 for some reason.

15. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    On the affordable end, the 767a, PL80a OM3, and E835.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're not going to like it, Jimmy, but we agree on this. I use Beta 58As at most gigs, but if I were going to recommend a reasonably-priced mic for all-around vocal use, it'd be an SM58.

17. Jake Saint

Jake Saint

Dec 31, 2011
    Mine Hill, NJ
    Any of the Shure 58 series will work. they're a tech's best friend, since they have a better pickup cone than most mics, and for the price, they have fantastic sound properties. not to mention being damn near bulletproof.

18. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I've been pleased with OM7s

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You were right. I don't like it.

:D

Nah, I like it. I'm just yankin' ya! Our keyboard player loves his Beta 58a, BTW.