Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

same old patterns

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Apr 11, 2001.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    when i write songs, lines or just noodling around i always come up the the same patterns, or the same major scale patterns. I know 2 blues pentatonic scales but cant fit them in. How can I expand to do different things?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Try to compose or invent a slap line in your head first and then try to play it. It's hard to come up with something completely fresh, I know.
    Another cool tip is to tune one or more strings up or down some half/wholesteps. That'll change your standard licks quite dramatically. Record them and then try to play them in standard tuning.

Hope it helps...

3. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Why think out a slap line, isn't easier to think out a regular line?

/lovebown

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

When talking to my Jazz teacher (who is an alto sax player) about scales and lines, I once mentioned that instruments like bass and guitar have the scales laid out in front of you and this helps with improvising. But he said to me that this was the big disadvantage of these instruments - in that they encourage you to think in terms of patterns and make it very difficult to break out of these visual references, whereas a sax player has nothing to look at when they are playing.

What really helps is looking at the sort of lines another type of instrument plays - so like you can get the Charlie Parker Omnibook in Bass Clef and see how an alto sax players constructs lines and tunes. Or you can choose any other instrument and try playing what they do - this will help you think in terms of "music" and not in terms of patterns that relate specifically to your instrument.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Oops, you're right Lovebown.
    I was still in some slap thread with my thoughts when I wrote this. :D
    So read bass line, not slap line there.

6. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    thanx, i tried the tune down one, but its still the same patterns but i'll have a go with the other instruments one.

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Try tuning your bass in fifths: CGDA (or FCGDA if you have a 5). Doing this forces you to abandon all of your cliches.

Another strategy, along the lines of transcribing other instruments: try singing along to what you play.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

...I hated quoting Bruce's entire post, nevertheless, I have to say I agree 100% with it.