Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Same String... Same Bass... Same Amp... Different Location... Different Sound?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bertbassplayer, Mar 29, 2002.

1. For some reason I seem to play my bass, with same strings, amp, and amp settings... but in different locations I will get a WHOLE different sound from them. In fact I'd play in one place and I'll love the sound I get, and I'll play in another and I hate the sound. Anyone else have the same problem/effect happen to them?

2. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    yeah it's called room acoustics.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    T o expand on Prague77's pithy pronouncement:

The acoustics of the room have a huge impact on low frequencies. If you are trying to get a really deep tone, you will see a lot of variation from room to room. My advice (which most people think is crazy) is forget the super low stuff, get some fat midrange happening and you will sound great.

Things to keep in mind when setting up:

1. Cab on the floor has more lows than cab raised even a few inches off the floor (like on wheels!). Put the cabinet on a chair or milk crate if it sounds too muddy.

2. Cab near a wall or in a corner has more lows than in open space. So set up in a corner if the tone is too thin; stay out of the corner if it's muddy.

3. Raised stages act like resonators, so will increase the low end. Again, up on a milk crate or chair if too muddy.

3. Cut EQ before you boost. If you sound thin, cut highs and high mids before you boost bass. If you sound muddy, cut bass and low mids before you boost treble.

4. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    Brian, each room, or place in a room makes a big difference, I was wondering which mids do you boost. I boost a little at 250,500,& 800 that seems to work in most places. I've also found cutting instead of adding works a lot better. You can really kill your sound by adding too much.

5. the positioning & isolation of your amp is very important too..

put a rubber mat under your amp and your lows wil improve significantly.. lows are the first to be absorbed by the carpet / concrete / wooden floor.

6. I know about the whole things with the lows, the weird thing is the lows were about the same. I lost the highs though.