Same tort pattern on two different Fenders?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GhettoBrassGuy, Nov 22, 2010.

1. GhettoBrassGuy

GhettoBrassGuy Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Simi Valley, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull, Lakland, Aguilar, JH Audio
    How are these pickguards made? I have a Jag and Mustang bass and the tort pattern is exactly the same on both. I'll admit, I have a little too much time on my hands to notice this, but still. Do all these basses have the same pattern?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    It's not the same. look on the right side of the bass you'll see other markings missing fro mthe other. Very similar though.

I don't know how they make them. But my guess looking at it,it's almost like wood. They make a big block of the material then cut it,so like with that one you'd have majority of it looking the same as the yellow would travel through the block of brownish red almost like veins,so when you profile it you see the yellow spots.

3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. GhettoBrassGuy

Nov 27, 2002
    Simi Valley, CA
    But look right to the upper left of both pickups...and all around the pickups. The Jag guard is more detailed but it look the same to me...

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It is identical--the "differences" are where the controls plates and other cutouts are.

6. GhettoBrassGuy

Nov 27, 2002
    Simi Valley, CA
    That's what I thought...makes me wonder how they're made. I purchased these a year apart...and one came from AZ and one I got while on tour in Tampa. hmm

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    In the old days, those swirls were created by literally mixing two different colors of plastic material with a comb-like "random swirling" device. Nowadays, for mass-production factory instruments, they just have a digital image of the tort pattern, and they print it onto a blank plastic sheet.

8. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me.

Dec 2, 2005
    Edmonton
    Perhaps they slice it off of a hunk of tortloaf. Deli style.

tastybasslines likes this.
  9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    ^^^ That's a better answer. :D

10. GhettoBrassGuy

Nov 27, 2002
    Simi Valley, CA
    That makes sense. Cool...makes them almost identical twins. :)

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

AAAHHH!!! They're CLONING tort!!!

Put on your tinfoil hats and run for the hills!!![​IMG]

12. billiam5billion

billiam5billion Supporting Member

May 18, 2009
    Houston, TX
  13. hahahaha

seriously though, i think the tort pattern is photo-etched onto the pickguard material, whatever it is. There are *very* few manufacturers making it old-style anymore, but some of the imaged tort looks really good up close. And some of it looks like crap, you can see the pixels. Depends on the manufacturer.

14. Tusec

Tusec

Jan 10, 2010
    TORTLOAF!!

I love it.

It's a sure bet that these identical guards aren't real tort -- real tort meaning real synthetic tort with the layer of red & amber celluloid swirled together. They're just vinyl with the tort pattern printed on. Real celluloid tort is actually a 3D effect because the the celluloid layer has some depth. It's not just a 2D print.

15. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Off topic, but OP I see you are the bass player for Tyrone Wells. Did you by chance go to school at Hope International University?

16. bassyRyan

bassyRyan Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    The Fender tort guard I puchased a couple years ago for my jazz is certainly NOT "photo tort". Nor is the one I put on my Precison that I sold. Both were "62 RI" branded guards from Fender. I KNOW the tort on the Squires are phony, as they're obviously one dimensional. I think you have a rare instance of two sheets of tort being cut super close to each other and winding up in the same owners hands. These were made for each other! Of course the "photo tort" could also be a possibility, but I've never seen them on true Fender instruments.

17. The whole tortloaf cut makes sense. Probability wise, it's small, but I DO think that both of then were probably adjacent slices on the tortloaf. It's feasible, both are MIJ so that tortloaf theory works out. If they were manufactured in different countries, it would be the printed on kind. IMO

I BELIEVE IN THE TORTLOAF.

18. im with Huge here. all i can think of now is a big slice of some crazy cheese-meat.

19. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    the 'tort' on all Japanese Fenders is 'printed', if you look through a Fender japan catalogue you quickly recognize the patterns.

20. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I BELIEVE IN THE TORTLOAF!

21. I had a tortloaf sandwich today for lunch. It was delicious