Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

same watts in 4 and 8?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davetsbass, Apr 24, 2001.

1. davetsbass

davetsbass Guest

Mar 24, 2001
    burnt hills NY
    In the instruction manual for my BXR 300 (fender) it says that it runs at 300 watts at 4 ohms with everything set at 0 besides volume. It doesn't say what the wattage would be at 8 ohm, although with only one cab plugged in I can't tell a difference in the volume. Are there certain amps that can run the same wattage to 2 different impeadences?

2. Basswou

Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    Belgium
    wel ... I own the same amp , and it's like this ;
    the output is 300 wrms @ 4 ohm however the speaker with it is 8 ohm ( combo version ) . If you put another exactly the same speaker into your amp you'll get 4 ohm and your amp starts to run 300 w rms ( max ) through your speakers , your speakers can now handle even more power together but that doesn't matter anymore !

with this second speaker your sound will be louder !!

Be carefull not to go under 4 ohm because your amp will belong to the past then !
    even better : don't mess with it anyhow !

3. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I have a BXR300C (combo) with the 8-ohm 15" built-in speaker. I believe the amp can deliver about 200 WRMS to it alone. When you plug in an extension cab (8 ohms min.), the total load is 4 ohms and the amp can put out 300 watts (150 to each speaker). It's a bruiser. So if you want more volume, the best way is to add an 8-ohm extension cabinet. That combo has its drawbacks, but power output isn't one of them. If you like a full-range sound with midrange punch, I would recommend getting a good 2x10 cabinet to place on top of it. If you just like classic boom, then another 15" would help you rattle the windows.
    - Mike
    P.S.: Tube amps typically have the same output at different impedances because they use an output transformer and you switch the taps on it to match the speaker load.

4. davetsbass

davetsbass Guest

Mar 24, 2001
    burnt hills NY
    Yea I have a 2x10 and I was just wondering