Samick 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gord_oh, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    A friend of mine was looking to get rid of an old bass since he doesn't play anymore. I looked it over and checked it out, it actually plays very nice. From what I can gather its a Samick Artist Series 5 String. (which artist, I dont know ;)) It has an active preamp in it with master volume, master tone, and push/pull. Like I said, I dont know much about it but it sounds good.

2012-02-21%252021.41.04.jpg

2012-02-21%252021.41.23.jpg

Anyone have any information on this? Or maybe how much it could be worth? Ive searched the interwebs and can't find anything on this.

2. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    bump

3. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    does no one know a thing about these basses?

4. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    wow...really?

5. I have the guitar version of that bass. Mahogany body with a Figured walnut veneer and an ebony fretboard on a maple neck. It's really well made and the thing has been solid since I bought it new in the mid 90s. I would imagine that the bass will be the same. That line of instruments was discontinued in the late 90s, but were the top of the Samick line. The same factory was making guitars and basses for Ibanez at the time.

6. puremusic

puremusic

Nov 1, 2009
    Saginaw, MI
    I don't have that series but I still have my Samick Saturn Series bass from the same era that was my first 5 string bass. Build quality was good on mine I just didn't care for the electronics I actually think that an EMG set would be an easy switch which I am planning on doing myself. Sorry I can't help you on actual value but it is a decent bass.

7. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    thanks for the info guys. i want to sell this for a friend, i figured i would ask around $200 for it here on the forum. i thought that seemed reasonable.

jaybones likes this.
  8. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I had the saturn series 5 as well. Black with gold hardware. I changed the hardware to black and it turned out to be a decent bass. With a good setup it was almost fun to play. I think that you are correct with your asking price. Good luck!

9. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    well, keep an eye out it might be in the classifieds here shortly.

10. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I think that's a reasonable price. a friend of mine sold a very similar looking samick 5 for 275 on c list about a year back. his had the same preamp setup but had gold hardware and Barts.

11. I bought the bass from Gord oh.

Just to clarify - it is Vol, Vol, push pull active/passive tone (guessing on the active passive thing. Pulling it out seems like a passive setup, and pushing it in gives it an overall bump to the output)

I changed strings on it and gave it a setup. I've played one gig and one rehearsal with it so far, and really am enjoying this bass. The sound is quite good with labella tapes on it, though I had to switch to a different B as the labella was totally dead on it - more due to a string design, as the wrap didn't go over the saddle. Kind of disappointed in that, but my regular bass is a string through so I hadn't considered there might be an issue. Put a stainless D Markley B on it and it was a good balance.

Running this through a PF500 into a SVT15 last night reading some ABBA charts, this thing was a monster! Great snap on the octave disco bass lines and impressive rumble from the B string when I went there.

I think adding a BTC might make this my goto bass. Looks great, sounds great and no big worries if anything should happen to it.

12. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    I have had one of these basses (2 actually, 1 st one got lost when lent to a friend, got another), since the early 90's, still have it, although the frets are worn now.
    It's been my main gigging bass since then, I even traded a fender MIM P for the second one.
    I would still play it if my Fender MIA jazz deluxe wasn't just slightly better.
    A great bass, a lot better than the Samick brand's reputation deserves, a real punchy tone and a great light weight feel.
    The neck is quite slim too.

A highly recommended bass, mine has the black/brown/gold patterned finish with the gold hardware.

13. raventepes

raventepes

Jan 7, 2012
    Reno, NV
    That was my first bass...loved it, and I wish I still had it. Found a used one a while back ago and was tempted to grab it, but ultimately decided against it

14. wschenk likes this.
  15. Lefty Joe

Lefty Joe

Sep 21, 2014
    I just received one of these as a gift [!], and found this forum in an effort to learn more about it. The previous owner had used it rather hard -- some paint worn off, toggle switch missing its cap, loose straplocks. Didn't want to put out sound until I pulled the push/pull knob, establishing that was an active/passive switch. Replaced the battery. Only one pickup working [bridge] -- may be the switch.

Plays pretty well for a five-string, feeling & sounding very much like the $450 ESP 4-string I bought last summer [minus that instrument's three active EQ knobs]. $200 seems a good bottom price, maybe $300 in great condition.

One difference between mine and Gord_oh's [besides being left-handed]: the fret markers are little planet Saturns. I'd post photos but I can't figure out how to do it here, so I made it my avatar

16. I have the same bass, with the "saturn" inlays. Photos attached. Sold my Fender Bullet Bass Deluxe once I got this one - back in the mid-90s. (Why do I need two basses?) Never regretted the move. Still using original electronics. However, tone control no longer has any effect. I'm reluctant to fiddle with it. I want it fixed, but I know nothing about this aspect of a bass. I consider the push pull to be a preamp (not certain if that's the same as "active electronics"). I'm not much of a gear head - when it comes to bass guitars - but for me the bass is very playable, and everyone (including me) seems to love the sound (even without ability to adjust tone). Really I bought it because i wanted a five-string, and I'm a sucker for black and gold :)

20150209_113739.jpg 20150209_113803.jpg 20150209_114135.jpg

17. jaybones

jaybones Inactive

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    I would agree with you on that!

18. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    This thread is 5 years old.

Element Zero and LiquidMidnight like this.
  19. Yes indeed it is:laugh:. But I was desperate to find any info out there about Samick Bass and how I might address my malfunctioning tone control issue. Thought maybe I could shake something out after all these years. I suppose most people think this is a throwaway bass, and they would just upgrade. I like my bass. . . a lot. Sorry I'm rambling on the five year old post :rollno:.

gumtown likes this.
  20. I have a Samick 5er with the same control layout. Your push/pull is an on/off switch for an active buffer. Your tone control is passive and works like any other regular tone control, just a potentiometer and a capacitor.

Unfortunately my push/pull switch and buffer were pulled by the last owner :(

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021