Samick 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobton5, Feb 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bobton5

bobton5

May 16, 2014
  2. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    You need to be a supporting member to ask about buy/sell pricing.

3. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    It's okay because the op is interested in maybe buying something, not inquiring about a selling price. Thanks.

4. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    What if he's really the seller, and not the buyer? Just sayin

5. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, that's true. I'm not that worried with this one though.

jlepre likes this.
  6. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Back on topic to the OP: Personally, I wouldn't bother. I don't think that bass will offer anything different from your Ibanez reverse P/J . I don't think Samick is that well-regarded and that bass looks worn and is a style that might not appeal to a ton of people if you decide you don't love it later. I'd go for a jazz or Stingray clone before that one. I wouldn't spend over $100 for it, but all this is IMO.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Reviewer: Bass Player Magazine
    That model was my first 5-string; I got one in 1997, a year after I started playing. I played the hell out of mine for five years. But...yeah. They're pretty crappy. I wouldn't bother.

8. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Samick were everywhere in the late eighties down here in Australia- and were very much entry level, starter pack instruments, paired with Gorilla amps.
    Then again, only perhaps five years before that, Cort were the cheapest nasty instruments around, and they certainly upped their game over time.
    Would not be paying much for that one either way.

9. bobton5

bobton5

May 16, 2014
    Thank you, that has been my thought all along was to walk away. Just walk away... If I'm buying something else it'll need to be better than my current Ibanez :) Thanks again everyone!

10. I have a nearly identical Samick to that one - FYI it's a Saturn Series. The pickups aren't amazing but mine sets up and plays well. String spacing is tight though!

I spent 150$ (CDN) and it was my first bass - granted it's missing the push/pull pot and active booster it originally came with. I like mine but it doesn't get played much.

11. Faceman75

Faceman75

Dec 21, 2015
    That was my first bass, paid $500 in 93. Samick is the largest guitar builder in the world, and that bass was one of, if not THE best, entry level instruments at the time. I would gladly get another one and upgrade the electronics

12. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    You dont have to be a forum police cowboy. Have your fun and let the mods worry about other things. They can handle it.

13. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Thank you for your words of wisdom. I can only hope that I can be like you when I grow up. Geesh...