1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Samick Artist series Bass (mystery ? )

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BleuLapinIvre, Oct 23, 2016.

1. BleuLapinIvre

BleuLapinIvre

Oct 23, 2016
    Hey there :) ..
    Well long story short i've had this bass for about 4 years now and loving it but i was always curious about it's origins or any info about it , after hours and days of searching on everything related to samick couldn't find anything about this babe ..
    Well i thought The good pro memeber of TB would help me identifying it ..

Thanks in advance

2. fonsdavid

fonsdavid

Nov 24, 2016
    I'm afraid I don't know too much, but I can tell you that they are a korean company (I think) that used to make basses for a lot of big companies (Ibanez, Dean, etc.) and they also had their own line. I'm glad to hear that you like the bass, because tomorrow morning, I'm waking up early to go pick up my new (second hand) fretless, through-neck samick and I'm pretty sure I' getting the same model as you (but then fretless and with a through-neck). $_85.JPG

StayLow likes this.
  3. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Congrats to both of you...that fretless is pretty

but the two are way different...besides the obvious construction differences (neck neck thru vs bolt-on, headstock, etc) the main difference is that the pickups are mounted in a tighter configuration on the OPs bass while yours are further apart......the voicings will drastically change so the two would sound nothing alike even if both were fretted or fretless

4. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Samick is the world's largest manufacturer of instruments. They have factories across Asia, at least in Japan and Korea. The MIJ Fenders are mostly made by Samick.

5. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Samick Music Corporation is the world's largest producer of stringed instruments. It has factories in Korea, Indonesia, China and the United States. At one time (and maybe still do) produced the Japanese Fenders. They sell their guitars under their own name, as well as sells its guitars under the Greg Bennett Signature series, and Silvertone.

I bought a Samick Stratocaster to use the body as a project, and other than the pointy headstock it was a quality guitar. The pickups were potted, pots were full sized and hardware was pretty good (except for the import sized zinc trem block).

Additionally, I noticed on NCIS Michael Weatherly's character had a Samick baby grand piano in his apartment, actually played it in one episode and it sounded pretty good.

6. TUNYMUSIC

TUNYMUSIC

Oct 31, 2016
    yeap. Samick is a Korean company. Pretty much all the Korean and Indonesian Ephiphone instruments are made by them in their factories these days.