1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Samick bass?Any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by D-Rock47, Mar 30, 2009.

1. D-Rock47

D-Rock47

Jan 14, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    I can pick up a Samick 5 string for a couple hundred dollars. I'm not real familiar with their lines. This one has a p bass type pick up as well as the j pick up. I've never had a 5 string so I thought it might be a decent one to try out. It comes with a case as well. Any opinions? I searched on this forum, but most of the posts were old. Just wanted an update. I'm told the bass is 7 years old or so. Thanks again!!

2. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have a 1999 Samick Artist Series.

P1010028.

If it is an Abiline/ArtistSeries, and you can grab it for 100 that's as high as I would go to buy one. It is what it is......CHEAP.

would I play it as my main gig bass? --- nope.
    would I cry if it was damaged? --- nope.
    would I spend another 200 on pickups and pots to make it playable? --- nope.

would I tell someone as a "starter 5 string" to buy one for 100 bucks? --- yep. ( it DOES stay in tune, and has nice fretwork on the board ) it's ONLY saving grace IMO.

3. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    theyre hit and miss IMO. I played one that was set up fantastic and played the same with a decent tone. however, I played a few clunkers too. Put Some Hands On It! find out for sure!

4. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I could never get used to the cheap microphonic pickups, or the string spacing, beyond that I was happy with it without adding 200-300 to make it "better". Now the Samick just gets used by my local friends who need a 5 stringer to noodle with. ( yes I did use it for a time without crying until I bought my Dillion )

5. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

I have a Samick Villian 5 (i think is the model name..weird pointy SG-like body), and I love the thing. Years ago I had a red one, and it played and sounded great...EMG Select P/J with an active preamp and a passive/active switch. Very Ibanez-ish neck...stupidly traded it off. Fast forward 7 or 8 years, I picked up another one in black off Ebay for about $100...kinda beat up, but it plays and sounds just like I remember....happy camper!@

6. Bogster

Bogster

Oct 13, 2002
    Orange Park, FL
    Like Redleg intimated, they are hit or miss. I've played quite a few crappy ones. But I also owned a custom samick 5 w/a five piece bubinga/wenge neck, brass nut, active preamp, that was a seriously nice bass. Definitely on par with any Iby I've played in it's range. I had it for several years and the only reason I got rid of it was because I had too many fivers. I still kind of regret getting rid of it, but I wasn't playing it much anymore, and better to get it into the hands of someone who would.

7. chubrocker

chubrocker

May 6, 2006
    KCMO
    I'd play it first--then decide. From my experience, some are great--some are not very good at all. Lots in inconsistencies. My friend worked for a music shop for several years and sold lots of Samick stuff. His comment was that you can have 5 of the same instrument and each would feel entirely different.

8. D-Rock47

D-Rock47

Jan 14, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Cool, thanks for the help. I will for sure play it for a while and see how it feels. I hope it`s ok as it may be a good starter 5 string. I`ll find out quickly if it is a hit or miss! Take care guys!

9. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    meh they're your average low-lowmid quality bass.
    Play it might feel great and sound great to your ears.

10. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    resurrecting this thread - i saw a samick 5er at a store today. artist series with some sort of burled laminate top & matching headstock. played really nice. $249 used. actually, it's $300 with 3 yr warranty. i really like it, but i wonder about the price.
    is it worth a haggle or is that a fair price?

11. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    That sounds a little too expensive for me. Does it have any upgrades? I've played quite a few because they tend to show up in pawn shops down here and all I can say is they play nice, but the pickups and electronics are crap. They feel really light as well... makes me wonder if they have a plywood body?

12. I played a Samick 5'er when I sat in once with a band. It was similiar to the one in the picture and was a piece of ****. A $100 is too much if you ask me. Wouldn't waste my money on it.

13. duderasta

duderasta

Feb 25, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    lol samick made a whole lot of guitars and basses for a whole lot of different companies. the electronics are crap, with upgraded electronics it is as good as any korean model of the same time period... samick produced a lot of Ibanez guitars and basses too.

I have a midrange Ibanez that is stock, and my old samick with emg's is more versatile.

I would agree they are hit or miss, just like fenders, gibsons and any other mass produced instruments.

I'm asking 200 for mine with emg p5j's which means the bass is almost free w/pickups. 200 for a stock one is too much for sure.

14. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I paid $CDN300 for my first 5'er, a Samick. I'm pretty sure they also made the Washburn that was my first decent 34" scale axe - $CDN400 new. :rolleyes:

I got plenty of kicks on both of those instruments. But in the grand scheme of things, they weren't particularly special. They were great to start tinkering on!

I think entry-level prices have come down a LOT since that time. $200 for a used one sounds a little high.

15. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I may be mistaking, but I thin at some point, they were the largest maker of musical instruments in the world. They made a lot of stuff for many many companies.

Kind of like an unknown (to many) company called Matsupoopiea. They make all the products for Panasonic, Technics, Sanyo, and a whole lot more.

16. Lefty Joe

Lefty Joe

Sep 21, 2014
    Now it's my turn to resurrect this thread, because I just received one for FREE, so surely it's worth it, right?

Well maybe. First, it didn't quite work -- sometimes it would, often it wouldn't, finally it just stopped. Now I know why it was free ;)

Opening the cavity, I do see a loose wire, and I have some soldering experience. But where does it go? I'll see if I can attach a jpg ... yes, there we go: the loose wire [actually two] is in the blurry foreground, and the greenboard is the active/passive switch. I can see by the broken solder that one wire probably goes to the righthand point that's just below the two top-right points [but which one?], and the other looks like it goes to one of those three on top. Any help possible here? 100_3503.JPG

17. Brian Lee

Brian Lee

Jul 27, 2014
    Lefty Joe - Did you manage to repair the bass with this loose wire?

18. tmdazed

tmdazed

Sep 29, 2012
    I had one given to me by an a friend of a friend who was moving , he was not a player and knew I was. I had it for about 2 months and traded it for a washburn Anarchy(upgraded with Ping machine heads and EMG 81/85's) , HATED the Samick . finish was nice, cap and stain was great , neck felt like a Log with a chainsaw along its edge (the fret edges had never been filed and I didnt bother) pickups were terrible and hardware sub-cheapest[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Calgary-20120908-00182.

19. B0W

B0W

May 10, 2018
    Hi guys!
    Just got the Cobra bass used(8 years old). Its a beast.
    -It has weight, but not that heavy and has a pretty good balance. Minor neck dive.
    -Sound is superb. The bass boost is really powerful. 4 knobs: volume, bass boost, treble boost, pickup balance
    -Plays really well
    -High mass brigde & the neck thru design gives you all the vibration you want
    +1 for the fingerboard, its beautiful