Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Samick Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zirc, May 13, 2001.

1. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    What's the deal with Sammick basses? I've been looking for a good affordable lefty five string for quite sometime now, and I've actually found one. It's a Sammick 5 string Saturn, black with gold hardware for $500. Since it's online and I can't really try it out, my question is are Sammick basses good, what's the deal with them?

Btw - I'm used to a Fender Squier Lefty Special P-Bass (with P and J pickups) so I don't think it can be worse than that. Also, I'd much rather have a musicman, but I doubt I'll ever see $1200 anytime soon.

- Chris

2. I play a Samick, dont know what type cuz i got it used and didnt know much about guitars, but I think they are a pretty good bass. I like the tone i can get off of mine, especially the high end sound, and get some GHS Bass Boomers and you got a kick ass sound coming from it. So I would go with it, but thats just me..

3. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    You know where I can get a picture of what the Sammick Saturn 5-string looks like?

4. Staindfan10

Staindfan10

Jan 20, 2001
    i play a samick and it is pretty good

5. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Lefty,
    I re-read your original post, and after realizing we were talking lefties, I deleted my remark. A split second later you remarked on my answer. You are right, probably 1 in 2000.
    Doc

6. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, gotta love us lefties eh? Heh, I wish I could mail the bass player from Godsmack (he plays lefty bass) and tell him how much I admire him. Heh, then if I was lucky, he might send me one of his old basses :p

Prolly only in my dreams though :(

7. Dont play a Samick without playing it first, I know the quality isnt accurate, and many are horrible. For 500, I think you can do better, does Fender offer a lefty MIM 5?

8. muscle_museum

muscle_museum

May 13, 2001
    alpine, tx
    Samick basses are usually good, mine is a black 5 string and it plays great.
    If your going to get one though, you should try it out first.
    Umm...
    If you want a pic, just email me.
    I'm kind of new at this, so don't jump all over me if this message is screwy...

9. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Well, it's kinda hard to try it when you gotta buy it online (from www.southpawguitars.net). I'm pretty sure it's new though, I'm thinking I might be able to try one locally and see if it's good. I don't really know about Fender basses, but I know I'd like something other than a fender since my current bass is a Squier Special P. Plus, I really dislike the way Fenders look.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'd keep looking. I REALLY don't recommend the Samick. All I've played have more-than-shoddy workmanship, crappy thin sounding pickups, and weak necks (not to mention oversized neckjoints). The B string is pretty terrible, also. I'd keep looking.

11. If the site has a return policy then take advantage of it! Try it for a week and if you like it, great. Otherwise send it back. You could always go to your local music store and try one. I've played a Samick before. It was a 4 string. It was ok. I have no major complaints. I've played a lot better though. You should probably try to save a little more $ and go higher end. You might not like Fender too much but they're cheap and sometimes you can find a remarkably good one. You know what they say "Beggars can't be choosy." Good luck

12. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Samick = warningsign!
    Be awful careful, test it for sound, ergonomics AND mech/wood quality.
    Samicks can be real good - and plain disaster!

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sounds like some people have come across some crappy Samicks and some have found some good ones. Samick builds for several companies and from what I've seen, at their pricepoints, they're fine. I'd consider it if I was on a budget and didn't have other alternatives.

14. Samick has improved 100% in the last coupla years. Before that they were hit and miss, but the very strong showing by Cor Tek in the last three or four years has forced them to up their quality control. I would consider it if you can get a right of return, that way you wont lose out.

15. I played a samick fiver (I don't know the name, but it had a 5-piece bolt-on neck and a 2-band EQ) a while ago. The B was really tight, but the action on the lighter strings (especially the G) was TERRIBLE!!! you could barely play anything up high. I'd look around for a good used higher-end bass on Ebay or something. you could also post on the Wanted section here on talkbass.

16. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I played a friend's Samick some months ago. Never played an instrument with such a quantity of dead spots. :)

17. not quite Flea

not quite Flea

Oct 19, 2001
    NZ
    I have a samick - i find it has a nicer sound then many other basses I have tryed. I found mine to be pretty solid, its taken some knocks and drops and it still plays good as always.

18. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have A Samick Saturn. It's pretty nice for what it is. I don't play it much any more. Wouldn't have been able to play it at all without replacing the bridge. String spacing was too close.

Like others have said, be sure to play it first, or be able to send it back. I have a Samick Les Paul copy that I'd put up against any other. But this Saturn Bass is only an average import. Not real good, not real bad. It is very hard to play compare to my Stingray.

And I wouldn't pay $500 for it, or ANY Samick. I think I've seen one similar in a local shop new for around $300.

Dave

19. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Out of my 10 basses, Samick is by far the worst. Woodwork is fine, but it needs $300 in new pups and electronics to be usable. Try before you buy!

20. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    Dude,

I've seen lefty musicman fives go on Ebay for less than righties. IMHO I would save a little more like and buy a used MM (about $750 to $800). You see them about once a month on Ebay.

Just my opinion, everybody has one.

Good luck to you with what ever you decide, it's the driver that wins the race but you need a good car to win.