Samick basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Apr 5, 2003.

1. I was just looking at Samick's web page and saw some interesting looking basses. I never hear anything about Samick......what's the quality like on their instruments? I really liked the semi-hollow Royale bass.
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Ive played many a Samick basses. They are catagorised in the "cheap and nasty" section, but some arent that bad...Theyy're not the best but for someone on a budget they're pretty good. Tone is very dull, almost sounds like a clean guitar with alot of bass and next to no treble, but like Smash said, that can be fixed with detailed EQing
  3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I owned one for two weeks once. Like the others said it was Tone Dead (not to be confused with tone deaf :) ). There are better choices in that price range.

4. arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    one word: Essex
  5. The cheapest Samick still sounds way better than the cheapest Ibanez. I never understood Ibanez's popularity, aside from excellent playability...
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I suspect that many people are playing Samicks and don't realize it.
  7. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    supposedly samick is a major manufacturer for many small guitar co' silvertone and lotus and a few others i cant remember off the top of my head,i owned a p-bass copy for a short time in which i purchased for 100.00 at a scratch and dent sale at sam-ash,it was made fairly well but the sound quality was a bit "thin" i changed the pick-ups to dimarzio's,added a bad-ass bridge and gave it a complete set-up and after that the bass was more than acceptable,everyone who heard it could'nt believe it WAS'NT a fender bass, so for an extra 135.00$ in up-grades for a total of 235.00$ i had a bass that was ALMOST as good as mex
  8. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    well.. many people will disagree with you.

Besides Samick makes more basses than you realize... including ibanez
  9. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    i heard theyre the biggest company in china or something along those lines. maybe it was just the biggest manufacturer or something. the essex are probably from the same plant even.
  10. The Cort factory also manufactures instruments for some big-name brands, including, I think, the Groove Tools by Conklin.

Ok, I think I didn't express myself very well :) What I meant is this: About 10 years ago, I bought my second bass, which was a brand-new 300$ (Canadian dollars) Samick. It was a nicely-made instrument (for the price of course), with a maple fingerboard and a P-style pickup. I compared it with a 400$ (still Canandian $) Ibanez with PJ pickups, and I'm pretty sure any of you would have agreed that the Samick sounded better. Not to say that the Samick had an extraordinary tone, though. :meh:
  11. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    its ok to dis-agree, i just find it hard to believe any-one would with the fact that for 225.00$ i got a bass that sounds decent,you said it yourself they make ibanez basses. right? so they cant be all that bad even after a couple of mods. and i was'nt the only one who thought so,my buddy and i were bouncers at TOADS PLACE(a famous little club in NEW HAVEN)and the bass player for BLUE OYSTER CULT had a problem with his bass(a 74 p-bass)i went to my car and retrieved the SAMICK, he went on stage with this bass and did the first set list with this bass while his bass was being worked on(something to do with the neck)after intermission he went back to his p-bass and finished out the show,when the show was over i met up with the rest of the band and this is what they said after i told them how much i paid for this bass with the up-grades"I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS P.O.S BASS PLAYS THIS DAMN GOOD,I NEVER EVEN HEARD OF THIS BRAND" i believe it was the singer who said this.
    so like i said "how bad could it be"?:D