1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Samick fretless upgrade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris76, May 22, 2017.

1. I recently picked up a fretless samick 4 string for $120. Should've gotten it cheaper but the seller was 17 and he met me at my rehearsal area so I could play it on my rig so I didn't haggle too much.

Anyways, I noticed a few things electronically that need to be taken care of. Scratchy pots, fuzzy pups, and an input jack that decides when its going to work.

I've decided on the Benny pj set for pups and that takes care of the electronics as a whole for about 175. I was thinking about changing the bridge and the nut as well.

My question is, am I going the right route? Wasting money/time?

Any advice on certain bridges to stay away from?

Attached Files:

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Fixing what's broken isn't a waste but after that is done, if everything works and it's set up nicely with good strings, what more does it really need?

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

congratulations! IMO: you can spend what you need to spend in order to make the instrument play like you want. if you feel like you're starting with a good 'platform', it's the end result that counts. :thumbsup:

4. TBH this will be my first endeavor into setting up my first bass. I like its action and when the Jack works, its sound. Actually prefer it over my schecter with the EMGhz pups.