Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Samick Greg Bennet Corsair "Mini" Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RunEvilSquirrel, Jul 9, 2004.

1. RunEvilSquirrel

RunEvilSquirrel

Jul 2, 2004
    I saw one of these at a pawn shop and really liked it. Here's the best part. 85 bux! Anyone own one or have any useful info on em?

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I played on in a shop once and it gave me a good laugh, because it was fun. It's a 26" scale, shrunk-down Pbass. I have a similar-ish Samick LMB10 30" as my take-to-work-bass and it's quite a decent little instrument for what it cost. At least mine is, especially after I modified it a bit.

3. RunEvilSquirrel

RunEvilSquirrel

Jul 2, 2004
    I mean, for $85 it sounded wonderful! The strings felt new and almost like they were coated. Like elixers.

4. tumbaobab

tumbaobab

Sep 29, 2003
    Up lol
    Just received one today, it's a wonderful bass, mini-size and huge sound! I will upgrade it with a high-end pickup... It's great to play bass and sing and dance at the same time without effort required by a Peavey T40!

5. bobicidal

bobicidal Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Just picked up the Corsair model for $59 used at Guitar Showcase. Out the door with new gig bag, cable, stand and strap for $125. I was going to keep this at the office but dang it plays pretty well! At least I did not walk out with $1700 Rick 4003!!!

6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Hi - I have one of these also. I ran it down on CL after seeing a mini-P at my drummer's. It is surprisingly well make. However, there is some weirdness on the D and G strings - kind of a weird ringing to the notes. I have not yet changed the pickups.

One thing to consider - Getting new strings!!! I have emailed them MANY times about this and never had any response. I went to Guadalupe Custom Strings here in LA and had a set made. I also found a very strange set of super short LaBella Flats here on TB, if you can believe that.

Meanwhile, it is a pretty cool little bass that I could put in the overhead and take on trips.

Besides these, I found that there are quite a few of these small basses (designed for children) on www.shortscalebasses.com

7. bobicidal

Mar 28, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Wait, what? I am going to have a hard time finding strings?

8. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I bought one for my son, but he was more interested in drums. :meh: So I bought some piccolo strings for it, and it sounds so cool! The neck on mine is pretty stable, too, so it stays in tune pretty well. It's a fun little bass!

EDIT: You can use standard strings on it, but you should stick to the lighter guages.

9. bobicidal

Mar 28, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    UFR, mine is not the mini model. But now I want one! ;)

10. bobicidal

Mar 28, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Here is mine. The "maple" neck feels pretty good. I am pretty sure it is not the mini

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. A friend of mine has got a full scale with PJ. Except the ugly headstock it was needed to do a setup. He likes it, but anyway ... I got him a bass that he paid for amount of 10$ ...

12. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I got a mini (CAR) for my daughter when she was much younger...she "sorta" played it and it mostly sits in a stand now...she is 10 now and is getting into music (she is getting very proficient at her Oboe) and says she may want to play it agin.

it is a cute little bass and actually does not sound half bad (the guy I bought it from changed out the pickups but I do not remember what they are)... my fingers are too large to play it with any proficiency myself...

overall a great buy for the coin...

13. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Your Corsair appears to be the 30" scale. It's a very nice bass and I prefer it to the 26" scale mini version. It's a hair larger, but plays and sounds great and has a much greater availability of strings. I've been looking for one myself but they are hard to come by. They also made a 34" scale Corsair model.
    For a travel bass, I use a Jay Turser mini bass. It's almost as small as the Corsair mini, but a full 30" scale. It also weighs under 5 lbs.

14. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Formerly "domdec314" Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    I actually just picked up on of these Corsair's this afternoon. I wish i still had those Labella's. :p

EDIT:
    I just noticed that Circle K makes their guitar scale strings all the way down to .106. I just ordered a set (.106, .079, .059, .043). I'll let you guys know how they work out.

15. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef Formerly "thebrian" Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    California
    My girlfriend got me one of these last Christmas (the mini 26"scale). I've found its the perfect bass to sit in my recliner and jam out at home. My other normal basses i have to sit up in my chair to play, but i can lean back and relax with the mini. I took it to practice once and everybody was joking about it, but they all had to admit that if they weren't looking at me, they would have thought i was just playing one of my regular basses. The thing sounds surprisingly good, and deep too!