Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Samick Sting Ray Copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CKYorDie, Sep 18, 2001.

1. CKYorDie

CKYorDie

Jun 14, 2001
    Is it any good? A music store near my house sells em for 300 and i was thinkin about buying one. Has anyone tried it?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hey CKY,
    Welcome to TB. Man, I don't know a thing about the MM copies, but do know that there are several out there. Samick, Jay Turser, and Dillion all have Stingray copies. There is a Dillion on ebay now #1465100600. If you are thinking of buying one off the net, make sure there is a return period so you can check out the instrument. Good luck.
    Doc

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well, I am yet to play a Samick that I like. I've played a bunch of the cheaper ones, and the ones I've come across either play bad or sound bad. E.g. I played one bass that played like butter, but it sounded cheap and "rubbery". OTOH, I own an acoustic Samick guitar that sounds nice but is very uncomfortable playing.

I have just barely come in contact with a Samick Stingray copy, but I still think you can do better than that for $300.

IMO, YMMV, etc etc.

4. bobaweeka

bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    Yes
    I tried one out a while ago and wasn't too dazzled by it. It just didn't feel very good to me. I don't know, what do you think? You're thinking of buying one, so you should go to the music store and try it. If you likes, buy. If you no likes, no buy. :D

5. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I had one for a while (the model was PMB-41S). I don't think I paid that much for it. It was of comparable quality/usability to a Fender Squier or similar bass. OK neck and fretwork (nothing to write home about), sloppy cheap tuners, plastic nut, passive. Unknown body construction under a red finish, maple neck, rosewood fretboard. It looked good and played OK. For $300 you can probably find something better. For the $150-200 or so Zzounds blew them out at they were a decent deal to consider but you can probably find something better for the same price.

I strung mine up BEAD for a while and found out that a rigid neck is really a requirement for a 34" scale B. This bass didn't have one. The Musicyo Steinbergers are more solid than the one I had.

I did like the sound although it was nothing like a real Stingray (had one of those at the same time, even). It was not versatile but I liked the sound of the single humbucker. I let it go and don't miss it - it wasn't memorable enough to worry about. I did put a fairly postive (for the price) review up on bassgear.com.

If you are looking for a cheap bass right now go to Musicians Friend and send them $169 (plus shipping) for a Dearmond Pilot Pro. Original list $699. Two piece ash body, 35" scale 5-piece neck, dual humbuckers, 3-band preamp. Nice feel and fretwork. Similar sloppy tuners. At least twice the bass for close to half the price.

6. CKYorDie

CKYorDie

Jun 14, 2001
    Do those other brands of Sting Ray copies have websites?

7. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I don't know about the listed direct 'Ray copies but if you are looking for a 'Ray-like (but not exact cosmetic copy) bass two that are very nice (but a bit more expensive than the Samick) are the MTD Kingston http://www.mtdbass.com and the Fernandes Atlas http://www.fernandesguitars.com. They both are single-pickup basses with a big humbucker in the "sweet spot" like a Stingray. However I don't think anything will sound like a 'Ray other than a 'Ray - even the G&L Climax I had (a later Leo Fender design with a single humbucker in the sweetspot) did not sound exactly the same. Harmony Central's bass resources links can get you to a lot of bass manufacturers as can the links from here I assume (I use Harmony Central's because I had them bookmarked before Talkbass existed and I'm too lazy to change). Have fun finding your bass

Right now it looks like the MTD website is down.

8. Carvin has also started using the big mamma jamma MM style pickups and electronics in their basses as an option. If you're after the sound more than the look.

9. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    The new OLP Korean Stingray just came up on MF for $229.
    Doc

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Unfortunately, based on comments from a couple of members here, those Carvin HB's don't sound anything like a Musicman.