Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by rob f johnson, Jan 20, 2006.

1. rob f johnson

rob f johnson

Nov 15, 2005
    nelson bc
    Hey all has anyone heard of this make of bass? SAMJIN I bought mine new in Vancouver in 2000. carved spruce top, flamed maple back and sides no ply. IMO plays and sounds great. but i cant find any info on the maker or the bass. Ive looked on goggle online forums ect... just curious if any ones owns one? or has any info?
    thanks rob
  2. Samjin does not ring any bell, but sounds it might be Korean...? Any label? Pics? Age? What did the seller say about it´s origin?
  3. eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    It is a Korean. So am I. :smug:

A Samjin plywood was my first DB. It fell apart pretty quick but that was 10 years ago and mine was one of the cheapest from their line. I think the quality of Korean bass significantly got better past ten years. Some of my students brought their Korean basses and they weren't bad. You cannot expect a quality setup though.

I believe local bass makers here pay much more attention for the bass going overseas. Possibly because you have much bigger market for student basses.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I looked on Google and found a few mentions as well as a thread on TB which says they are Korean.

I found some funny translations of Korean reviews of the basses on websites - here's one :

It was reaped it was well constructed the light autumnal tints tree and em it became the line in the time which is appropriate
    The family rain of top to become tender and the material feeling of the sound use is superior.
    ni It rests and gold of the light pu to be controlled with fortune, theyl the blood su with
    The bottom board makes with the ebony wood of the highest grade, the Tyrol style which plates with the nickel
    lwu pu The high class to use your machine head it is it becomes worse.
    This double base most big feature one performance the inside the volume which is abundant and the side
    The possibility of doing it is it is a thing.

5. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I can tell you just about everything you need to know -- i ENDORSED THEM when they were trying to breaking into the US market as LINEAR BASSES -- The upper quality basses -- fully carved with Rubner machines are as good as anything you'll find for the money -- some of the glue and finish work is a bit sloppy. Lemur used to sell them as part of their Sunrise line after doing serious shop work on them, and SW Strings sells them under a Hans Kroger label. Volker Nahrmann in Boston has a few (SJ 606 etc)

HOWEVER -- Sanjin pulled the Linear line and I cannot (and would not) vouch for the quality of the new Sanjin line -- unless the bass has been in the shop (as at Volker's) for a while -- I'd stay away from them!!

I tried to encourage the Koreans to go for quality and they opted for the quick buck -- It was a very unpleasant experience ultimately (although I did get a very good bass out of it!) - and a shame, because AT ONE TIME they had a chance at selling a very good product.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Connected....? :p
  7. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    That was the whole point I tried to stress to them -- the fully carved top of the line basses could (could have?) competed extremely well against Shen or Christopher or the Romanians etc; but they (the Koreans) had to address the quality issues -- Think Hyundai -- ten years ago the cars were a joke. Not so today. As I said, the sad part was that they did want to make the effort, and really lost a major market.