Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sammicks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaworski, Sep 14, 2002.

1. jaworski

jaworski

Aug 18, 2002
    ive just read over a few topics on samick's and ive realized that most of you all hate them and say theyre crap. i recently got a second hand sammick 6 or so weeks ago to start on and i think its pretty good. the guy who i got it off had just brought it so its a new bass, so that might make a difference seeming you's said new sammicks are better than the old ones. but the thing is i can't really tell if its crap cause this is the only bass ive played. i think its pretty good but are there any ways in checking out how good/bad it is?

btw the guys played it in a band live and stuff so i'd assume its decent enough for that. anyway thoughts? opinions?

2. IMO, Sammicks aren't that bad. I learned how to play fretless on one.

They are good beginner basses. IME, the quality of manufacture isn't the best. The one I had, the fingerboard started peeling away from the core of the neck. The body construction wasn't the greatest, the neck pocket wasn't cut right and had some small gaps. The pick ups were a little noisy, the pots scratched when you turn them.

But for a price tag of $150 (I was renting it for $15 a month) I hardly expected it to be a great bass.

Anyway, if you like it, what does it matter what any one else thinks. If it sounds good, awesome! But somewhere down the line you'll probably find something you think sounds better, like the former owner did. But hey, enjoy it! Don't worry about our opinions about Sammicks because we are all high class snobs up in here. :D ;)

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My Samick five-string was the only bass I played for a five year period. And yes, I do think that they're pretty crappy instruments. The output jack had to be replaced several times, and it just didn't have much of anything to it. It's now sitting in its case with some of the wiring no longer functioning. But I played the hell out of it and even recorded a few things in a couple groups with it. If you can play an instrument well enough, you can make it sound much better than it is. The way you'll find out if an instrument is good or not (to you, anyways) is to play LOTS of instruments. That's what guitar stores are good for. You can get an ear for what you like and don't like by trying out all their basses. Try your friend's basses too. I did and almost went out and bought a Fender P-lyte bass the next day.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Yeah my First bass was a samick p-style bass.. It was good at the time.. But it wasn't constructed very well.. and it didn't sound too good... the pots scratched when I turned them.. but its a good beginner bass IMO.. however if you are looking for a good cheap bass.. look at Essex basses

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I suspect that there are many people who own a Samick and don't realize it.

6. It is my understanding that Sammick started out as a furniture maker in Korea years ago. One of the Japanise piano makers got them to make a bunch of pianos for them to sell real cheap and to put the squeeze on Yamaha. Sammick didn't know the first thing about making pianos and just took the blue prints and made the thing. They used the wrong kind of wood in some of the important parts and the pianos went soar after about a yr of use. Well the co. ate the loss but Sammick continued to make pianos and now makes a first class produce. I was in a music store just the other day and I spent about 1/2 hr playing a Sammick 5 string. It was a neck through design with a small body, 2 soap bars and the normal electronics. I thought it played just fine and the workmanship looked 1st class. My big complaint was that the B and the G strings where about 1/2 the volumn of the others 3 strings. It sounded great as long as you didn't need the high G or low B. Kinda like a transmition with low and high gear torn out. The electronics were crap. I will never understand why a co. would spend such time and detail on the wood of an instrument and ruin it with cheap electronics.