Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sammy Hagar back in Van-Halen?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xcental34x, Nov 19, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    When the heck did this happen and why am I in the dark?

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    The Sammy Hagar thread is right next to the David Lee Roth one.

Oops

3. Keepin' 'em together- the best I can.

They were just here- it was announced over summer.

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I saw VH with Sammy a month or so ago. It looked like everyone was having a good time, but Eddie was a mere shadow of his former self. His guitar solo was really boring and his voice was almost totally gone. He had his son go out on stage with him for part of the solo and his son didn't really seem all that enthused to be there.

Alex on the other hand was amazing. As usual.

Michael Anthony's "bass solo" was embarassing.

It was your average close to note-perfect greatest hits show. I've been a big Halen fan since the late '80s but I wish I'd saved my money.

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Sammy, why don't you tour with Dave? He's right there.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I saw them a few months ago.

Sammy was on top of his game.

Eddie was drunk and bewildered. VERY obvious. A shadow of his former self, and not even a strong shadow . . .

Alex was Alex.

Mike Anthony, like him as a support guy, but why oh why does he always have to try to solo. Its just noise.

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Great points... Eddie's personal decay has been the biggest reason for the decline of VH... NOT the Sammy vs DLR crap.

8. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I saw VH in Minneapolis/St. Paul and overall they were pretty good although the sound wasn't too good. Hagar hasn't lost anything at all with age as he sounded perfect and looked very happy to be there. Eddie was good until his solo, it was the most boring crap I have heard. What it sounded like to me was walking into a music store and hearing people trying out guitars and that's exactly what it sounded like. Nothing he did fit together at all. Now for Michael Anthony, he should never play a bass solo (if that's what you want to call it), all it amounted to was noise and nothing else, very boring and embarrasing. I saw VH on the Monsters of Rock tour in the mid 80's and his bass solo sucked then as much as this one.

9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i saw them in indy a few monthes ago and i had an opposite experience. I htought they could of played without hagar and done awesome. I thought eddie did appear to be on sumthing but he solo killed. Hagar is good but when you compare him to roth i dont think he holds a candle. I dont think david lee roth is a good person in general but hes alot better frontman for that band. Sammy does a good job though, he did a couple acoustic songs that were way cool.

10. I saw them on Labor day. I agree that the bass solo sucked, baaad. But everyone else seemed fine. Sammy did great.

11. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    AWWwwww MOM!!!! Dad want's me to go out on stage and wank with him again!!!1 Do I hafta??? My friends are here and we were gonna hit the Playstation for a while...

DLR was a FANTASTIC frontman back in the day, but unfortunatly his style doesn't hold up to time and he wasn't able to update his public persona to keep up with the times (and his age). For today's music scene and for their age, IMO Sammy is a MUCH better frontman for a rock group. The DLR flamboyant self-centered arrogant party boy persona doesn't fly these days outside of some Rap artists, and even they don't take it to the extreme level of Diamond Dave.

12. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    ;) ;)

Attached Files:

13. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Dayum, VH is lookin BAD!!!LOL

14. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I definitely agree. I love both Halen eras. I also loved Extreme and really wanted to hear a good album with Gary Cherone fronting Van Halen. I was very let down by VH3 but IMO its problems had nothing to do with Gary and everything to do with Eddie.

Haha, that is a perfect description of the solo from the KC show.