1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sammy Nestico with SWR Big Band A Pair of Aces - Who is the Bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by TolerancEJ, Sep 11, 2019 at 5:44 PM.

1. I recently joined a Jazz/Big Band and I'm learning a lot of new concepts & ideas as I go along. One of the assigned tunes is A Pair of Aces of Sammy Nestico with SWR Big Band. I realize this piece is primarily a feature for the soloists, but the Bassist is flying too! I just wanted to know the name of my new bass hero.

Here is a YouTube video as a reference for the song I must learn. The song begins at a slow pace, but the tempo picks up at 2:11

I’m completely prepared for someone to tell me the song really isn’t that fast. Since I was 16, I only played rock/metal. I wanted to step out of my comfort zone and boy, did I jump into the deep end. I have a ton of work to do. I accept this challenge and I’m not backing down.

Sorry, I'm only playing Bass Guitar presently. If fortune should smile upon me at some point in the future, I would love to embark on owning, learning and playing the double bass.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 6:44 PM
  2. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

The credits in the Youtube video say it's Romanian bassist Decebal Badila. Love that "Decibel," right?

Here a link; there are English language links down the page a ways, He sounds good!

Decebal Badila – Wikipedia

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 9:29 PM
    TolerancEJ likes this.
  3. Fantastic. Thanks!

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Bravo TEJ! That's just the best!

There are plenty of "big band bass" threads here in TB / DB. Here's one. The thing about playing big bands, as opposed to playing Mahler, is that much of the time the big band bass part is a guideline rather than a requirement. You can do better than that part.

Have fun, man. There is no feeling like a great rhythm section kicking a great big band!

TolerancEJ likes this.
  5. @Sam Sherry I appreciate your encouragement. Thanks!

Sam Sherry likes this.
  6. LaFaro01

LaFaro01

Aug 27, 2018
    TolerancEJ likes this.
  7. Great! I appreciate the information.

8. notabene

notabene

Sep 20, 2010
    SF Bay area
    Sammy Nestico (in my opinion) is one of the few BB arrangers who writes (wrote?) great bass lines. Fun to play, sound great and often are rhythmically varied.

Steven

LaFaro01 and TolerancEJ like this.
  9. I completely agree. As one of the first songs of this genre I must learn, A Pair of Aces is quite challenging.