sample/loop pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BoognishMang, Apr 14, 2004.

1. ok, i've used the search... looked at reviews at harmony central, etc...
    seems like the Line 6 DL4 would work best for what I need to do. But I'm reading such mixed reviews, which in return leaves me with mixed thoughts.
    After reading reviews for multi effect pedals such as the Boss GT-6B, Boss ME-50B, DigiTech BNX3, Line 6 Bass Pod, etc., etc., almost makes me wanna save an extra $100 to by a multi-effects pedal.
    So I guess my questions is about your opinions on the DL4. I'm mostly be using it for loop/sampling. Unless ya'll can recommend another sampler/loop pedal.
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    There are good / bad things about all the loop pedals out there. To help us recommend something, tell us :

Do you want to store phrases on power off?
    Do you want different memories to hold different phrases?
    How long will your longest sample/loop be?
    Do you need mono/stereo?
    Will you be doing a lot of overdub looping? i.e. record a phrase, straight away you overdub on top of it
  3. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    I owned a boomerang, and hated it...

n O i S S y

I now use to a pair of gibson echoplex digital pros...

In my opinion, you are wasting money and shooting yourself in the foot to use anything else...

I recently tried the boss loop station...

I don't think there is anything wrong with it...

But after owning the Gibson EDP's I did not like the Boss at all...

For simpler looping I have tried a friends line 6 d-l4 and i REALLY want one!

if you are looking for a good introduction to looping, you might try the line 6 dl4

if you get serious, buy yourself the gibson echoplex digital pro

there is a wealth of information at a web site dedicated to the craft of looping

They have very good information on all of the products available to help you make the right decision for your needs...
  4. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    If you are looking for a dedicated looper, I would choose the RC20 over the Line 6. The RC20 is easy to use and has a lot of features that make it a much better choice for looping than the DL4.

If you want a pedal that digitally copies various delay effects, and does a little bit of looping as well, than the Line 6 can't be beat. I have become a Line 6 hater as of late, but I still think the DL4 is their best pedal.

Only if you are going to do enough looping to justify the expense of something that costs nearly 4x as much as either of these, than I would consider looking at the Echoplex.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Seconded. I got to use a line 6 for a long while, but ended up choosing the boss RC-20 when I wanted to buy one. the Echoplex is too expensive.
  6. Well, for what i wanna do, the RC-20 seem swhat I need. Now all i have to do is go play with one at a store (most likely bang one up at guitar center, hehe).
    I'm be laying down a bass line then playing another on top of it.
    thanks for the recommndations.
  7. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I like my Boss Looper, the trouble is that I can't find a use for it. However, I use my DigiTech BP-200 Multi-Effects all the time. I found the multi-fx stuff to be much more useful.