Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sampled funk basslines?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Jazzbo gave me an excellent idea for a thread with a reply he gave in the tab forum. I'm interested, lets play the trace the bassline back to it's original artist. An example "Rapper's Delight" is "Good Times" by Chic. But just remeber... "Ice Ice Baby" is not "Under Pressure"... there is an extra ding.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Me, Myself, & I" by De La Soul = "(Not Just) Knee Deep by Funkadelic
    "Men In Black" & "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" by Will Smith = "Forget Me Not" by Patrice Rushin & "Greatest Dancer" by Sister Sledge
    "It's Tricky" by RunDMC = "My Sharona" by The Knack
    We'd be here all day, so to make it easier, name a rap tune and I'll name you the song.
    ;)

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Rain(?) by Sisters With Voices has a Jaco sample from Portrait Of Tracy, or at least some parts of it played by another bassist.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    SWV also tried to credit somebody else with the writing credit, I contacted the family, and they said that my email was the 5th one they'd gotten, and they brought legal action.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I know, I just thought this would be fun... and educational. :)

6. Rapper's delight is not strictly a sample of Good times- it was re-recorded by Positive Force.
    Chic won the songwriting credit for it, nonetheless.

De la soul's "eye know"= "Peg" by Steely dan (plus a bit of Otis Redding's "sittin on the dock of the bay" whistling solo)

a question- what's the track that Dela soul sampled for "ring, ring"? I heard a track with that bassline, which sounded like Alexander O'Neal singing on it.