Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sampler

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Now that i've recieved my copies of the sampler...You guys did a splendid job, by the way! What's the plan as far as exchanging ideas and critiques? I've just listened to snipits, because I want to listen to all of it with nothing else going on.
    Anyway, what's happening with this?

2. Here's an idea:
    Everybody e-mails all their comments to Sam. Sam will make compilations of all the commentary in order by performer, with sub headings for fingering, attack, intonation, time, etc. Then Sam publishes Talk Bass Sampler: The Book.
    Sounds like a plan.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm with Paul - only heard snippets so far, and want to give all of disc I a complete listen-through all at once, before making any comments. If we handle this in the wrong way, it could get dicey: The point of the "Johnson Exchange" for me has always been to receive constructive yet no-holds-barred critique of my playing and approach. Personally, I don't mind having that done in public (that way, others might potentially learn from my mistakes - and there's a lot to learn from there!), but I would imagine that not everyone would feel this way...some, perhaps even most, might prefer to keep the comments private.

I know that what I don't want to happen is for the whole thing to turn into a "man, you sound great, I wouldn't change a thing!" festival where no constructive suggestions are given. What's the best compromise? Ideas?

4. My feeling is the principles of the "Johnson Chronicles" continue to apply here, i.e., some players agree to exchange samples of their work with others, each responding privately with constructive commentary. The sampler was not published in open forum, so the commentary should remain a private communication.

5. As I've posted many times before, I love this site, but to be brutally truthfull, you guys ain't too easy to get in with. There are many things you talk about that I, as a new guy, haven't a clue. I had to drill you about Ed Fuqua, and I have trouble relating to " The Johnson Exchange " or the " Johnson Chronicles " It even seems to me , at times, you guys go out of your way to be mysterious about all this stuff to be to the point of being rude to a newcomer. I have no idea who Johnson is or was.
    By the way, Chris, You sound great. I wouldn't change a thing! Just kidding! You don't sound so great... Just kidding! What's with this " our Durrl " bit?
    I just had to bring all that up and I do agree Chris and Don that we'll all get more out of this if we don't patronize one another!

6. Paul -
    "Johnson Chronicles" just kind of popped up when Ed Fuqua and Chris decided to exchange miscellaneous tapes for each other's criticism. Others got involved - David K, me. I sent tapes of my lessons with Michael Moore, full of gaffes. Forgiveness was ample, as was honesty. One day, Chris dubbed the process the "Johnson Chronicles" as a play on Boswell's Life of Johnson and "Ooops, I really stepped on my Johnson on that one."

"Durrl" was how Chris got Fuqua'd, i.e. a name created as friendly mockery by Ed, Durrl being a stereotypical dumbass redneck pronunciation of Darryl, a stereotypical dumbass backwoods rebel name. My signature, Donosaurus, was Ed's response to my laughable computer ineptitude in the early days of TalkBass. David K's Polish surname came out Crack House Key. Were Ed here, you'd conceivably be Wallbutton by now, although Ed was more creative than that.

In posting "Johnson Chronicles", I was addressing Chris directly since he invented the process and the name.

Our intent is not exclusiveness, although I can see how that conclusion can be drawn. Give us a little time; we'll insult you, too.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Exactly. Sometimes the Ego has to take a back seat to progress, which is what these exchanges are so valuable for. Just so you don't feel "left out" when everyone seems too awed by your playing to offer any comments, ask and ye-shall receive...although after a cursory listen only, I have a feeling I'd have to listen pretty deep to find much that I'd do differently (as if I could do some of that stuff at all!) on the recordings you submitted.

All in all, the sampler looks great, and I hope we can make it a nice tradition and watch it grow over the years. This site amazes me sometimes. Thanks again to Sam, who did an absolutely GREAT job putting the project together.

8. That's more like it! Thanks you guys. I was begining to think my age was sneaking up on me and that I just wasn't " getting " something. Then, I started thinking you were like the Masons or Shriners or some exclusive club where a new comer had to pass some tests.
    Also my reasons for getting in on the sampler are not only to try shed some light for others through my experiences, but, because i'm kind of starting over after having laid off for over a year. I want to make some changes in my playing and this is just what the doctor ordered.
    I plan on devoting a big block of time today to listening to the material.
    Pull

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'd love to hear the Higdon/Moore tapes...

10. I just can't release them, Marcus. First, it would be a breach of confidence. Also, Michael is one fine pianist, and the temptation to pass them along would be overwhelming to somebody, sometime.
    Michael makes his living playing music for people who pay to hear it. I'm sure you understand.
    What you would hear includes some side-splitting laughter and jokes. Michael and I are at the point where we don't even have to hear the punch line, we go nuts at the setup. And you should hear our list of Alzheimer's songs.
    It would also be nice for people to be able to hear his Christopher and my "Old 87" American Standard, c. 1925, but there's no way to do that without including his playing.

11. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

13. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Enough with the caginess already. I'm just waiting for the CDs to make their way north and I'll be posting the mp3s on my site for folks to download.

Sam put 'em in the mail at the beginning of last week. There's no snow yet, so the CDs aren't coming by dogsled but we didn't exactly overnight them. Also, it's Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend, so I'm guessing it'll be Tuesday or Wednesday before I see the discs. Then gimme a day and I'll have a page up with THE DATA.

14. Now, I'm feeling like an outsider. Is this sampler infact for participant's ears only? [/B][/QUOTE]

I think i've created a monster again...now Chris thinks he's Fuqua. I hope he settles on a name for me soon.. I don't know how much more I can take!
    Jeff, If you want to wait to see what transpires in terms of getting this stuff downloadable for EVERYONE, fine. If you can't wait, i'll be glad to at least make you a tape. My CD burning program is acting up, but a tape is no problem. .
    PS Let me know and i'll use the address on your web site.

15. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I'm working today (yes indeed!), back from half a week in Acadia Nat'l Park with my sister and my son. So let me catch up with all of this:

a) You're welcome, all. It's been a learning experience for me and I hope that, as people comment, it will continue to be so.

b) I think that criticism by email is best, generally. Marcus, I'm glad to hear you've enabled e-communication although the e-wall was part of your e-mystique.

c) The two main points of the project are 1) to put musical voices on willing folks around here and 2) to provide relatively-informed critique to participants. It's no surprise to see that non-participants want to hear it and I value the chance for TB/DB posters to participate toward either of those goals even if they didn't submit something. Damon has been extremely gracious in agreeding to try to facilitate that. I hope it works out. If it doesn't, of course I'll burn a few more etc.

d) I am very senstive to Don's point about willing participation by all artists involved, not just the ever-so-lucky participant/bassist. It's one thing to have practice tapes, concert boots and radio tapes floating around to a few pals for critique. It's another thing entirely to have half-baked material posted for inter-galactic consumption. That is one additional reason I was very uncomfortable with the notion that anybody was gonna sell this stuff, even for the best of causes.

Anyway, folks, I hope that those who've got it find it useful and that the wait for everybody else is short.

And you know where to find me. Let 'er rip, please.

16. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny

I think i've created a monster again...now Chris thinks he's Fuqua. I hope he settles on a name for me soon.. I don't know how much more I can take!"

Get used to it! Even though Durrl is Chris and Donosaur is DH, everyone's name [including theirs]is always fair game to be Fuqua'd with. Although I think Pull Warm Baton is gonna be hard to top.

ps-thanks for offering but I think that I'll get the stuff from Damon's site-seems easiest for all that way.
    . [/B][/QUOTE]

17. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Esteemed colleagues,

I got the discs from Sam yesterday and today we have a web site.

Before the URL, a word please: I'm trying to do this thing at no (additional) cost. I've already got a domain and a site which happens to have a ton of unused storage space and bandwidth. HOWEVER, if this thing goes platinum (perhaps even tarnished silver) I will soon be out of the bandwidth I've paid to use. What happens then? My site shuts down and I get a notice from my web host telling me I'm about to go over.

If this happens -- and I think we're OK for about 70 complete downloads per month of the whole set of files -- then you may find my site to be unavailable until:

1) I pony up more cash; or,
    2) the beginning of the next month.

The files can be streamed from the site or downloaded. If you're going to listen to them a bunch of times, I'd prefer for you to download. That way I only get dinged for the bandwidth usage one time for your download session, as opposed to a bunch of times for a bunch of streaming sessions.

A short word about my site: it's a personal site for programming practice and screwing around, that's all. I'm not hawking anything or trying to get you to join my religious sect or anything like that. It's in the midst of a re-organization that's been neglected since spring. Consequently, most of the subsections are shut down. I guess with a little more traffic I'd better git movin' on that little project...

Anyhow, enjoy the music and be nice. I know I certainly was impressed with the musicianship of all the players and I'm enjoying every single track. Hope you do too.

You can find everything at:

http://www.talkingblues.net/talkinbass.html

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Damon,

That page is THE BOMB! Thanks for putting it up as quickly and as beautifully as you did. I don't expect any bandwidth issues, but let me know if there are any - maybe I can help.

19. Damon, i'll second Durrl...I can't help with any bandwidth or computer knowledge but if you need a little $$ help, just say the word!

:D

20. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Thanks for the kinds words, guys.

By the way, before you all start organizing a telethon to help with bandwidth costs, let me make clear that I'm talking lunch money here. Pocket change. I can certainly afford it, and if we do run into a little shutdown over it, it will all go away fast.

I just pay attention to my inner cheapskate. He likes me.