Samples of TYPES of sounds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Foo-O-Matic, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Foo-O-Matic

Aug 10, 2004
    I've noticed a number of descriptions of bass sounds, such as punchy, modern, vintage-y, metallic, and so on, and I was wondering if someone have some sound samples of basses that can be classified as one of these or others, becuase I have that sound that I like in my head, but I'm not able to classify it or to tell exactly what is the type of sound that I like...
    maybe this thread seems to be kinda stupid to you but I will try to post it anyway. heh
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i can't link to save my life so i cut and paste this from an entry i made in "are bass players the only ones who care about tone" in the misc forum

what are the "basic tones"
    let's see

the "dead tone" - kind of a not too bassy, very little highs "thud" barney miller theme/lots of classic rock/jazz bass with flatwounds or the treble cut

the "jazz/jaco tone" midrange growl w/o being aggressive sounding - very bridge pickup

the "bassy" tone - most blues/smashing pumpkins "siamese dream tone/rolling stones "voodoo lounge" - bass boost but still distinction of the notes

the "super bassy/dub tone" lots of reggae, rap with a "real" bass - notes are less distinct

the "aggressive tone" geddy lee/green day/stp "core"/live at leeds edgy mids just beginning to get overdriven sounding

the distorted/fuzz tone in all of its incarnations - cream/rage/melvin gibbs with rollins

the "slap/hi-fi/boutique bass tone" big smiley face eq, lots of lows and highs

i'm sure i forgot some, but you get the idea. As long as your tone fits the music i dont think people notice otherwise. It's amazing how much of most of these tones come from your fingers and not your stuff.........
  3. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    Or by playing with a pick. Some bass players are enamoured of Justin Chancellor's (Tool) tone such as that in the "Forty Six and Two) song with that hi-fi, ultra clean, deal...and the use of a pick gives it that 'never needs sharpening' attack. A similar tone to that which I like is Clayton Ingerson's (Dysrhythmia) and he's a pick player too.

But you're right that depending on where you place your fingers, the tone changes. If I play using the edge of my neck as a thumbrest and kick up the distortion a tad, I get a nice stoner fuzz (i.e. Kyuss). If I play using the bridge pickup as a thumbrest, I get a neat "bowng" sound in the notes (and it's "bow" like "ow that hurts"; onamotapoeia.)

Great breakdown there, IvanMike.

EDIT: And when I think of Justin Chancellor's tone in "Forty Six and Two," the first thing that comes to my mind is "cold" and "metallic." There isn't much fatness or warmth to the notes. Very bright too.