Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Samsamp "Blocks" my other effects.........

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petebass, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've got the samsamp Bass DI/Driver as the last pedal in my signal chain. It has to go last in order to get my other effects to the PA. I use it as an overdrive and it spends most of the night in by-pass mode.

However I've noticed that if I try and use a wha or other effect (except overdrive) while the samsamp is switched on, it seems to block it.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Normally I'd move the offending pedal to a different part of the signal chain, but it's my primary DI so I can't.

2. I believe I've noticed the same effect as you. When I was trying to record bass lines without an amp, just using the BDDI and my regular Prunes and Custard envelope/drive pedal before it the effect didn't seem anywhere near as pronounced as when going straight into an amp without the BDDI. That's another of the reasons I gave up on the BDDI and rolled my SVT rig into the kitchen to get the bass lines done for our latest CD while the studio is still under construction.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I haven't noticed this effect on my FX. With the band I tend to go:

* Bass
    * Zoom 505-II (for mute and tuner)
    * SABDDI
    * Amp

At church I normally go:

* Bass
    * Zoom 505-II (as above but also a chorusy effect and a tremelo effect from time to time)
    * Line 6 DL-4
    * SABDDI
    * PA / monitor amp

Here I'm using FX but they sound fine.

However, I'm not working at high volumes and I'm looking for a cleanish sound - warm rather than dirty. Do you find the SABDDI limits you effects with the drive level lower? If not, perhaps you need to put some kind of distortion box earlier in the chain before the other FX.

Also, have you noticed a similar if you put some other kind of overdrive / distortion box between your other pedals and the amp?

Wulf

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Any overdrive pedal will do the same if you use it at the end of your chain.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Wonderful advice guys. Thanks.

Yep same problem. When I first bought it, I used it as a cleap pre-amp with little or no drive. It still blocked my other effects.

I have thought the same thing. I don't own any other distortion units so I haven't tried it. But I will give it a go and let you know how it pans out.

Bugger! That means I bought a very expensive DI box that's not going to be used for anything else. I could have got an ordinary DI for a quarter of the price.

Time to do a search for Distortion / overdrive units.............

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Perhaps you can find someone to sell it to who either uses a clean sound but wants a bit of warmth, or who likes the overdrive it gives and doesn't have any other effects in the chain? I guess it depends whether what you'll get for it (less the cost of a replacement DI box) is a figure you're happy with...

Wulf

7. pudgefactor

pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    Boston
    I get the same issue all the time. I have to place all filter effects after the sansamp. If
    I'm playing direct into a PA, I put the sansamp in bypass mode, and put the filters before it.

The only way I get the filter/wah effects to sound good before the Sansamp is to emphasize the
    mids, and bump up the presence. This happens with other preamps that I've used.

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Pudgefactor - are you saying that you can get filter effects to work... but they just work differently? (Like, for example, the fact that you can cook with water or oil to transmit the heat but have to use different approaches to get a good meal?).

And the rest of you - have you tried playing with your FX before the SABDDI as if they were brand new boxes... ie. not assuming that the same settings will equal the same sound?

There might still be a way to benefit from the SABDDI without giving up on the other stuff.

Wulf

9. pudgefactor

pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    Boston
    I guess I'd say this: In general, I like my filter type effects AFTER my sansamp BDDI. The
    BDDI (and any tone control box) will color the filters effects and nuances, usually to the
    detrement. Also, if I put the sansamp before the filters, I can really play around with how hot the
    signal going into the filters are, and this can really improve an auto-filters triggering.

BUT, when I have to place the sansamp last in the chain, I can get the filters to sound pretty good
    by emphasizing mids and presence. This is usually my second choice though.

BTW, I think an sansamp after distortion pedals RULES! It really definces the distortion and puts
    the bass right back in the mix!!!!

10. Jazz Ad

No. It means that a SanSamp can do many differnet things very good : Overdrive, tube & cab simulator,EQ, preamp, DI, but since they come at different places in the chain, you won't be able to do everything at the same time.

I use mine as a preamp and DI, end of the chain, and I only add a little grit with the gain knob.

Modulation effects come after overdrive, that's a primary rule. Main reason why you have an effect loop on amps.

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Fair enough. But the reason I don't use the effects loop is the same reason I can't put the overdrive first in the chain - the other effects don't get sent to the PA. I always have PA support, so I'd like people to hear my effects.

I think I'll just get another overdrive and put it first in the chain. I'll keep the sansamp last and use is as a DI and pre-amp.

12. Jazz Ad

Or you can get a RBI.
    It has an effect loop.