Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Samson Airline Bass Wireless

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Purs, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Purs

Purs

Feb 20, 2002
    Texas
    Anyone know anything about them? I used to use a samson (about 10 yrs ago...) I couldn't get any specs on the frequency response, so I'm leary about the bottom end dropping out. I called their customer support and the guy said he didn't think they published their specs....? Anybody have any experience with them? thanks.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    They were incredibly rude when I called them a few months ago to ask if a bass version of the Airline would ever be made. I don't know if I'd give them my money at this point!

3. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    I think it is 50 Hz on the low side , which if true is not that bad at all, especially for practicing - heck I use a darn Vox guitar amp for practice anyway -

my question is - does anyone else think the channel/UHF frequency could make a difference in the low end bass response (?)

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, 50 hz blows for bass, seeing as a low E is 41 hz and a low B is 31 hz (give or take a few tenths).

5. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    That was the guitar version that is 50hz. I don't know what the bass version is. It could be the same.

6. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    alot of speakers people play out of don't even have down to 50 Hz frequency response, and I'll EQ +15db at 50 Hz and +12 db at 120 Hz
    -- it won't be that bad.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, if you're going to EQ +15 dB at 50 hz, I hope you don't crank your amp up past 2. Your speakers won't last long if you do.

8. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    I have a Shure wireless catalog dated January 2000 with frequency response charts for their wireless products in the back -
    -even the flattest across all frequencies 50- 10,000 Hz wireless microphones have + 2-3 dB boost in the multipleK cycles/sec and best was - 5dB at 50 Hz, but with a very respectable flatness all the way across the log scale.

my point is if the frequency response curve for the Samson is flat with minimal dropoff at 50 Hz that would be a serious piece of "acceptable" equipment, if not for a gig rig at least for my purposes just to practice with walking all around the house.

my current EQ just looked at are :

'50 Hz +13dB
    120 Hz +13dB
    400 Hz +5Hz
    500 Hz +3Hz
    800 Hz 0

and after that we're in crossover territory with some cut

if I can blow a 15" BagEnd through a Samson Airline I will take pictures for the endorsement ad .

9. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    the samson site has a link for the airline bass version - receiver AP1B

so the 800-805 MHz band they use for some of the UHF channels for guitar might be different for bass (?) -
    or the "improved circuitry" could just be a boost of the low end frequencies which you could EQ boost yourself (?)

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hartke boast a 30hz bottom range, as do Ampeg and Eden on some products. I used a Hartke 3500 bass head with my cutom built cab I had tuned to 30Hz and I ran it LOUD. In fact I had the 30Hz slider on my graphic eq set to about +14db.

True 50Hz is plenty low for some (Carvin has a 65Hz limit on their 2-10) but if you really like the bass, that wont cut it at all.

Besides all boosting it with the eq will do is amplify somethoing that is barely there and cause extra noise weak sound and, in the case of low end lacking cabs, cause a flatulent roar more associated with a whoopie cushoin than a bass guitar.

Nick:cool:

11. SONICATTACK

SONICATTACK

Sep 26, 2001
    in the sun
    I don't know if that's entirely true.. Cause If you Crank Carvin's Tube Pre amp, and Finger some Diminishised Harmony's high up on the fret board you can actually count the time's the Speaker's Cycle. ie: Stuff you would never hear, nor feel.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Check their specs, I said that from memory, but Im fairly sure thats close.

Besides, ever see the wheels on a moving car apear to move backwards? Its probably the same effect. Since your eyes dont take in a constant supply of information, but rather a kinda series of snapshots like a camera, so when the frequency of the spokes position is exactly that so that they line up to be slightly behind where they were last time you took a snapshot, you apear to see them moving backwards.

Same basic effect sould happen on the speakers. If they're at a certain place at a certain time, your eyes can make it seem like they are moving much slower than they are.

Im not saying thats whats happening, but its a definite possibility.

Peace
    Nick

13. SONICATTACK

SONICATTACK

Sep 26, 2001
    in the sun
    I'm pretty certain that the amp doen't have a high pass crossover in it just one for the tweeter. other wise I wouldn't be thinking about buying a QSC power amp to low cutt the cabinets. not only does that give you a ton more headroom but 1600 watt's seems like a really healthy number for me. but yes those 10's stop at about 60hz. efficancy wise.

althouh your right how your eye's see things differn'ty somtimes. kinda how you don't see your computer screen cycle but if you record it on a camera you can see it cycle.

but Im positive that those speakers are moving like that. I've seen it in difern't types of light and I even touched it lightly while it was doing it. yes those speakers are pumping at about 5 hz. but I'll tell you one thing all that is is just a big waste of power.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I've only played a carvin 2-10 combo, and that was just once. Im not sure about much, but I am sure that I didnt like the sound of the amp. It didnt sound as solid in the lows. I guess if what you say is true, I cant tell you its not. Oh well.

Peace
    Nick

PS: How did you put through a 5Hz signal?

15. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    (I don't know if your vision or even touch receptors are gonna be able to decipher a 5 cycle per second movement.)

if, say, only half of the signal at 30 or 40 Hz is left, I think you should be able to do alot with it -- eq boosting and other signal processing.

also boosting a low signal doesn't necessarily add noise that wasn't there -
    and I can see reasons why a long cable produces more potential noise than an eq-boosted wireless signal.

16. SONICATTACK

SONICATTACK

Sep 26, 2001
    in the sun
    O.K

Those weird frequency's were created when I cranked the tube preamp, then played a diminished harmony high up on the fretboard. I don't know too much about the technicality of sound, but what I do know is that those tens were looking like they wanted to crawl out of the cabinet.
    as far as the low end responce, and tone... well I've had many who complimented the sound I get out of that cab. and the tone I have. :D
    I'm not at all dissapointed with the sound of the amp.

Anyway back on subject. I tried to contact Samson about giving me info on the Frequency spec's on the Airline Bass..... No answer.

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I guess we just have different tastes.

I cant like wothout my 30Hz 2-15 and you cant live witout your 65Hz 2-10.:)

Whatever tickles your pickle.

Peace
    Nick

18. SONICATTACK

SONICATTACK

Sep 26, 2001
    in the sun
    k. But I didn't tell you that I have an 18" Cabinet to transmit those stomach vibrating tones. And as mentioned before I'm planning on buying a QSC 1602 to power both cabs to really make me and everyone around me happy :D Yes if I had more money I would probably buy a Raven Labs Parametric Eq. to boost Frequencys around 30hz..

I think were on the same page.

I read in Bass player that the Low responce of the airline is just a Low contour switch??
    If that's the case then... nevermind.

19. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Look for an old Xwire, those are the best by far!