Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Samson Airline Wireless

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Mar 7, 2001.

1. I was wondering, has anyone tried out the new Samson Airline Wireless System? If so, how does it sound. Does it work well? Any delay? And if so, which is better, the Airline wireless instrument system or the Series one Airline?

2. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I haven't tried the Airline model, but I have tried another Samson wireless unit and was very disspointed. It was thin sounding and constructed poorly. Based on that experience I am reluctant to trust other Samson units.

Hopefully the Airline is MUCH better because I LOVE the concept of having no transmitter-pack. But, I doubt it.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Always check the audio frequency response on wireless units before you buy. For four-string basses, you need to get one that goes down to 40 hz. For five-string, you need 30 hz. I checked this out, and not many low-cost units go that low. Shure's UHF units (about $369) go down to 20 hz.

I just checked ... the Samson stuff only goes down to 50 hz. Bad karma for us bass players.

4. so you think i should stray from wireless?

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I really like using wireless, so I'd say go for it. But really, get one that's gonna work. While the Airline thing seems really groovy (hey, I'm 52), it's made for guitars. A transmitter pack ain't all that inconvenient.

6. ok, well then i need some advice. Which wireless system do you like that has no delays and all and also is somewhat cost effective?

7. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Yeah, the transmitter pack isn't horrible. I use an Audio-Technica wireless system that is GREAT!!!!!

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The Shure "UT" wireless, also called the Access, goes for around $369. It goes all the way down to 20hz and seems to be very popular among bass players.
    Of course if you're willing to shell out $700 you could try to find an X-wire digital wireless, although right now they are pretty hard to find.