Samson Airline Wireless

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Craig Garfinkel, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Anyone had any experience with this wireless setup? I like the idea of no transmitter pack that needs to be attached to the strap, but would love to have some feedback from owners/users before I shell out the cash.
  2. AKG also do a similar set up - but the AKG one has a jack that rotates, whereas the Samson one has one with a jack for mounting at 90 degrees - for most edge type or P-bass sockets, and another style with a jack at an angle for Strat type sockets!

Haven't used either - but I'm looking to go wireless in the next couple of months
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Check for frequency response specs with wireless systems. There was a thread about this a while back; a lot of them don't do frequencies under 100 Hz.
  4. When I bought a wireless system a while ago I started a thread like this one. I liked the idea of no body pack, but when I checked out the stats, I found out the Samson line only went down to 100 hz, whereas all of the ones with body packs went at least as low as 50 hz. I finally got the Audio-Technica 1100 series wireless, it has a response down to 30 hz, and seems to work fine in any condition. I have heard the samson picks up alot of interference. When I checked one out in the store, I really didnt like it. The receiver colored the sound alot, and the transmitter pack didnt work across the store floor, which was about 50 feet. I have walked across a football field with my AT, and it still sounds crystal clear.

A little side note, if you really want to work on keeping the groove with an off beat drummer, walk 100 yards away from your amp (with your wireless of course), and try to keep playing a steady beat. It is pretty much impossible, because what you play is delayed a couple milliseconds, from what you play because of the length it takes for the sound to travel to the amp and back. Its really fun though;)
  5. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I actually had to do that distance test. In marching band one year we didn't have any tuba, so they made me march my bass with a wireless. I had to play all the notes a little ahead of the beat to keep in time. It really screws with your head.

I was using a samson UHF series one, wireless which I believe performs about the same as the airline. It would work GREAT for guitar, BUT it only goes down to 50hz so it isn't the greatest for bass. I would advise against it. It did have really good reception though, and their customer support was great. I have since however sold it b/c It had no lows.
  6. I actually have used one, it's not bad, but the reciever gets slightly annoying during bass switching (like at shows with more that 1 bassist)...but to shut the battery off on the reciever, you have to unplug it... otherwise it rules 'cept for its pricetag...
  7. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Thanks everyone. I'm hearing much more positive stuff about the AKG, so if I do decide to go wireless that's probably the direction I'm headed. Thanks again, especially for the technical info.