Samson Power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassdadto2, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    Has anyone tried Samson amps? I am thinking of adding one to my setup. I'll keep my Crate BT-350 as a pre-amp, or biamp, until I can get something else. Any opinions?

How about SansAmp Bass Driver RBI as a preamp? PSA 1?
  2. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    My band uses a Samson for our PA. It has always seemed really wimpy to me (i.e. a lot quieter than a 1500 watt amp should be).
  3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Does the amp clip before the sound reaches the volume you want?

If it doesn't, the amp can go louder if you put a hotter signal into it or turn it up.
  4. Bob Lee,
    I was having the same issue with my QSC MX-3000a not making as much noise as I thought it should.

It turned out the XLR/DI balanced out on my preamp is putting out a watered down voltage instead of full LINE OUT. The speculation is this is done to feed a mixer rather than a power amp. (I thought mixers used LINE levels also, but...?)

I stopped using the XLR out and used the unbalanced TS out to feed my MX-3000a, and now getting full stage volume at less than half the volume control setting of the preamp setting with the XLR out.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've had a RBI for a few weeks now, and love it! It is currently driving my G-K 400RB via the effects return, but I hope to order my poweramp this week.