Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

samson power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mangle, Dec 6, 2002.

1. mangle

mangle

Dec 17, 2001
    Guayaquil, ECUADOR
    Any comments about samson power amps? I m thinking in gettin' one for my rig...specs look good, but any comment is welcome
    thanx

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    same power section as hartke, they are not bad (much better than my nady piece of junk) but not as good as crown, crest, or qsc i'd imagine...

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im also thinking about these.

My Hartke 3500 pushed out tons of clean power, so assumming their specs are true, these amps should be pretty kicken.

Peace
    Nick

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    samson power amps

I have never owned one but I did ask some questions to a salesman at Musician's Friend and he stated that they they recieve quite a few back for warranty repairs. This was a couple of years ago but I would assume that the design/workmanship hasn't changed much.

5. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    sounds just like hartke...

6. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    ahem, Samson is owned by Sam Ash, so only Sam Ash stores and samash.com sell samson and hartke gear... musicians friend is owned by GC, so either you didn't ask someone at MF, or someone at MF lied to you

anyway, samson power amps are decent enough, just like hartke amps are decent enough...but i'd rather have a QSC, Mackie, Crown, etc

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

So, does Sam Ash own American Musical Supply too, then?? They are stocking/selling Samson and Hartke amps. I have the catalog right in front of me.

8. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    either Sam Ash has a hand in AMS, or they're supplying them the products, because samson and hartke are definitely owned by Sam Ash, and MF has never carried those brands

9. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Musicians' Friend used to carry Hartke, Zzounds and a lot of other Internet retailers carry Samson/Hartke, and many independent stores carry Samson/Hartke.

Where did you hear about a Sam Ash/Samson connection?

10. Back when Hartke was thought of as (THE BRAND TO OWN) I tried to buy some from Sam Ash. A salesman told me that because Sam Ash owned Hartke that they couldn't ship it across the New York State Line:confused: . Well anyway I ended up buying from Therobred (sp?) which is now under someother name.

11. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    As I stated, it was a couple of years ago and it may have been Sam Ash. Reguardless, the salesman did state that they had problems with the Samson amps. Take it for what it's worth.

12. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    music123 carries them, and every music store locally that have absolutekly nothing to do with sam ash and/or ams for what its worth...

13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    My friend whose PA we always use has a Samson S700 and a Crown CE 1000 in it. The Samson has worked perfectly for the last 3 years or so. The Crown on the other hand always causes problems.

14. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    it's more than feasable that Sam Ash pimps hartke and samson out to third parties, but they do own the company. I used to work for Sam Ash.

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The manager/owner of the loacal Sam Ash is always trying to push Hartke on me. He also told me that Sam Ash bought Samson/Hartke.

Peace
    Nick