1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Samson S Com Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by avast_bass, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Not sure if compressor questions should go in here, as they arent always used as an effect, but I couldnt work out where else to put it since its for live use.

Is the Samson S Com compressor a suitable compressor for simply protecting my equipment from peaks. When using compressors i tend to run them with a large amount of headroom so they dont kick in until dangerously loud peaks (for example, problems with leads creating huge amounts of hum/feedback). Therefore, the actual compressed sound of the bass doesn't matter to me as much.

After looking around I have been looking at this and a dbx unit as options, however the dbx runs only with XLR ins/outs. I dont have much too spend, but want a compressor suitable for protecting against peaks but versatile enough to be able to get away with using it as a recording compressor if need be.

Which other options are there around the same price range? I live in the UK.

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    When I was looking for a rack-mount stereo compressor
    with Gate & Peak Limiting (same price range)
    the choices where:
    Nady CL
    Samson S*Com Plus
    Rolls RP252
    Behringer MDX 2***

For my uses (since I already have a BBE enhancer)
    Behringer MDX 2200 has been working fine for a long time.

The S*Com Plus had a good review from "Sound On Sound"
    magazine, a recording publication--

3. I avoid behringer at all costs after terrible experience with their Customer service dept., reliability and quality of their products is also poor.

I have been using mid/high end compressors for a few years now in a recording environment (studying audio engineering), but simply dont know much about cheapo units. If i had the cash i would take one of the drawmer compressors, or a Urei, but sadly the money isnt there.

I dont want to buy a cheap unit but its really my only option at the moment. I just hope it doesnt kill the tone from my brand new USA jazz too much.

4. an update coming up for 2 years later.

I bought the Samson and used it a few times. It ruined my tone and response, and I got rid of it again.