Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Samson wireless AirLine Bass system

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ErikKrueger, Oct 3, 2002.

1. i wasnt sure were to post this thread... but how does this wireless system sound???? will it make my tone sound much more different?

thank you,
    erik

2. I think i'll shift this to Misc buddy. And they may shift it else where. ;)

:D:D

Merls

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The Samson Airline bass is a great system for the price. I've noticed very little loss of low end. I previously tried 3 other wireless systems and sent them all back because of tone loss. I highly recommend them.

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    cheezewiz, I read from your profile that you play the occasional low B :), how does the Samson perform with those?

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Anders....no problem at all with the low B. This is the first system I have found that I can say that about. The only problem I have found with this system, is that you will get a "clunk" noise, if the antenna from the transmitter strikes your bass while you are playing.

6. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Thanks! I'll have to check it out then. I was a bit sceptical, but now I'll go see if I can find one to try.

7. How much do they usually cost?

8. thank you all very much.... heh eys.. i only use the low b string to make things "heavier".. heh in a fairly heavy band that has lots of cool stuff in it's music.... but i mainly follow drums and such.. not much low b.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    $299 at most online retailers. I got mine at Sam A$$

10. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i looked into getting once of these this summer. The frequency range doesnt go low enough. It goes just as low as the guitar one, which is complete jip. If they work on a B its not really scientifically possible, but i guess if they sound alright to u thats whats important.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Just curious, but are you judging the "frequency range" by the company's literature, or your ears?
    You may be surprised to find out that your bass cabinet's "frequency range" isn't as low as you think. I tend to think numbers are just numbers. I try to go more by the actual sound. I think "frequency range" can be as misleading as "watts". We all know amps that are highly overrated for power (like Carvin's suppossed 1000 watt bass amps), and those that are underrated (like my Trace Elliot 300 watt...which is louder than Carvin's 1000 watt)

12. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Which three are you comparing with?

Hyperlitem, you may have looked at the Samson airline without the "Bass", which is said to be an ordinary treble transmitter.

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The previous systems I tried out were a midpriced NADY VHF system (absolute crap), a different midpriced samson guitar VHF system (ok...but very noisy and some bottom end loss), and a no name, old, used system I inherited from a previous bass player in my current band (as bad as the NADY).
    Sorry I don't have model names or numbers, but I tried them, returned them, and forgot about them.

14. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    nope it was the bass one. I emailed one of the techs at samson and he sent me the specs. It seems to me that frequency range is kinda a scientific thing and thats its kinda set in stone. I do think watts can sound differently but a watt is a watt, if they were less they could be sued for false adverstising. Im not argueing with you, just saying that stuff is set in stone, alot of it is up to our ears though. The difference between the guitar one and the bass one is supposed to be a special bass circuit, i have no idea what that is though. Im not saying its not good though. I heard the guitar ones worked alright for bass, so it can only be an improvement, but its up to an indvidual. I would DEFINATELY not get one without being able to try it first or at least being able to return it.

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Hyperlitem...I'm no expert, but I don't believe you have a very good understanding of "frequency response". Say you have a Aguilar 1-12 cabinet. The advertised low frequency limit is 42hz. A low "B" frequency is, I believe, 31hz. Do you think that means if you play a low B through the Aguilar cab...it will be inaudible? Hardly. Going through that cab...it will sound great.

As far as only buying a wireless that you can either try first or return, I agree 100 percent. The reason I used an online retailer for my purchase was the easy no hassle return policy. After all, I used that policy on two other purchases of wireless units.

I guess the bottom line is, I have one, and it works well for me. I have been playing bass for 26 years, and I think I have a fairly well developed ear. If you don't want one..thats fine. I certainly don't work for Samson. If you get one if it works...Great...if you dont get one or don't believe it works...great too. I hope you do find the tool you are looking for and you can make great music with it. After all..isn't that what its all about?

16. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    "Frequency response" usually means the range where the signal level still has not dropped more than 3 dB. So when you go below the lower 3 dB frequency (say 42 Hz) the volume will start to drop off. As you drop even lower in frequency at some point the speaker and cabinet design will no longer be able to reproduce the signal correcty and will start to sound bad. Some cabinet manufacturers state "lowest useable frequency" as well as the 3dB point. So, similarly, you may have a wireless device that has a weak (lower in volume) low frequency response but that still sounds good. This may perhaps not be bad as many basses suffer from a too loud B-string anyway. On top of this our hearing (or brain rather) has a capacity to deduce the fundamental from overtones, so if the fundamental is weak we still believe we hear it if all the overtones are there.

I agree with the advice to simply try it out and listen if it does it for you. I may personally be sceptical as I think a wider frequency response increases the chances of it working well, but YMMV.

17. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Check out my posts in "how long is too long" about the Sennheiser Digital 1000. Good for 20 Hz, @$300.

18. jieshi

jieshi

Mar 26, 2002
    what abt the akg wireless >???
    anyone tried that???

www.akg.com

19. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Well? Did we ever get a consensus on the Airline?
    I have a line on one, Bass version brand new shipped to my door for 250 bucks...it's returnable within 30 days...is it worth giving it a shot?

20. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    How is your rig set-up? How is the Airline run into the rig?