Samsung thinks millennials want vertical TVs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by viribus, Apr 30, 2019.

1. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Maybe this belongs under Products No One Asked For.

You know how all those smartphone videos and photos are shot in vertical portrait mode instead of landscape mode? Because, like, the users, like, don't know the difference?

Samsung thinks millennials want vertical TVs

The latest addition to Samsung’s TV range is the Sero, a 43-inch TV that was designed with the millennial generation in mind and therefore pivots between horizontal and vertical orientations. It’s a much smarter idea than the phrase “vertical TV” would lead you to believe. Acknowledging that most mobile content is vertical, Samsung says the Sero is designed to encourage young people to project more of their smartphone stuff onto the TV by allowing it to go vertical. Throwing in 4.1-channel, 60W speakers along with an integrated navy stand and a minimalist rear design, Samsung seems to hope this TV will function as both a music streaming hub and a handsome piece of furniture.

When it’s not used as a conventional TV or a phone enlarger, the Sero can also serve as a huge digital photo frame or a music visualizer, and Samsung’s Bixby voice assistant will be on hand, too. Samsung intends to put the Sero on sale for 1.89m KRW (around $1,600) in its home market of South Korea at the end of May.

Vertical TV - 1.jpg

I think Samsung is on to something. Movie theaters should do this too. It's so obvious!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    ihaveaquestion likes this.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    A phone enlarger.
    That's a new term for me.

-Mike

ihaveaquestion likes this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I get so tired of the vertical videos posted on FB:

4. Instead of saying, "Hey everyone that records or takes pictures with your phone vertical YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG! That is why there is all that black stuff. Turn it sideways so it fills the screen and does not have all that black." They just make a product to "Fix" them doing it wrong. :bored:

I had someone say, "I like this new phone's camera just wish it did not put those black bars on the sides."

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

:laugh:

OldDog52 likes this.
  6. filmtex

filmtex

May 29, 2011
    Shooting video with your phone in vertical mode is just wrong. Like pi$$ing into the wind or drinking downstream from the herd. It's just wrooooong! And quite funny as well...

GregC, OldDog52 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  7. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    In the building where I work, almost everybody under the age of 35 sets up their monitors that way.

8. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    There are valid scenarios for vertical orientation. If you’re a coder or working on text documents, the more vertical display area you have the better (generally).

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I used to work with Excel spreadsheets hundreds of thousands of rows long. I was thankful for rotating VESA mounts and screen rotation.
    I don't do that anymore, so landscape is just fine thank you.

-Mike

Nashrakh and OldDog52 like this.
  10. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    As said, there are scenarios where the idea of "vertical" monitors makes a lot of sense.

In gaming, 4:3 CRTs were also often used in so-called Tate mode in the Arcade (I think mainly in Japan, where the term originates). Usually with vertical scrolling shoot-em-ups. I think there are vertical shmups designed for rotated 16:9 screens too, but it's not my genre so I can't say for certain.

ihaveaquestion and megafiddle like this.
  11. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I think that the vertical TV is an excellent idea! For watching TV laying down on the couch.

[​IMG]

12. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    But not for blueprints and schematic diagrams--which is what we do here.

megafiddle and OldDog52 like this.
  13. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    Some early Mac computers also had vertically oriented CRT's. Mainly used for desktop publishing, if I remember right.

-

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

It's a phone enhancer. Does it come in silicone with a built-in vibrator? :roflmao:

MJ5150 likes this.
  15. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    I remember 25 line displays, and then 50 line displays. It never seemed to be enough. If necessary, I went to the medium with unlimited vertical size: a printout on fanfold paper.

-

OldDog52 likes this.
  16. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    Horizontally oriented 27" monitors are also perfect for displaying two full 8-1/2x11 pages, side by side.

-

OldDog52 likes this.