Samuel Martyn Modern Ray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by floofmusic, Aug 22, 2019.

1. floofmusic

floofmusic

Aug 22, 2019
    Hey everyone, first post.
    I’ve been on the fan fret train for a while - I appreciate the balance and feel of them a lot lore than parallel fret (I’m lazy and don’t want to put in the effort for something “similar”)
    I was checking out classic looking basses like dingwalls and came across luthier Samuel Martyn’s Modern Ray 5:

Does anyone have experience with this model, or ordering one from outside Brazil? (I currently live in Canada)
    Thank you for any information... I should add that I’d rather not get a recommendation for an NG-2. I have a combustion and I’d rather the stingray.

Cheers!

andruca likes this.
  2. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    That’s quite nice looking. Thanks for bringing this one to our attention. Haven’t had a gas flare up in a while.

floofmusic likes this.
  3. floofmusic

floofmusic

Aug 22, 2019
    I’m glad I found it... absolutely mesmerizing. Samuel just posted an HH version he just finished.

Attached Files:

andruca and b15fliptop like this.
  4. floofmusic

floofmusic

Aug 22, 2019
    Nobody has any info?
    Bump

5. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Have you tried contacting him directly, with regards to exporting to Canada?

If there isn't a Canadian dealer / distributer, and you don't want to take the risk brokering the deal yourself ;

Have you considered buying a left handed Stingray 5, and a convex mirror? :D

6. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    A bit late, but yes, I do.

Samuel is a good friend of mine for many years.
    We actually worked together on his first fanned bass prototypes back in 2011 and I have the first of his fanned basses here with me.

He's a very skilled luthier. Very young too, not even 30. He started working with wood by age 6 helping his father, who owns a custom furniture job in Brazil.

I did a quick sound demo on my fanned S.Martyn back when I received it, recorded straight into the laptop with no treatment whatsoever. He's come a long way since this bass, with all the electronics and pickups made in house.

Guy is a basically a one man operation with only his wife doing a bit of light sanding (she's a full time navy official).

Sound clips:

Peter Lufrano and andruca like this.
  7. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Oh, and you'll have to talk to him directly. There are no dealers in US, Canada or elsewhere. But you'll be dealing with a good guy who'll walk the extra mile to make you happy with your purchase.

Feel free to PM me if anything seems a little lost in translation and I can call or msg him anytime.

His site isn't bad, though.

http://smartyn.com/

8. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Headless short scale just out of the oven, haven't even installed pots yet.
    Guy is a full custom shop and makes everything in house, even some of the bridges.
    Just the tuners he normally uses Hipshot.

9. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  10. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004

nonohmic likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021