Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

San Antonio Symphony

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by DraconBass, May 30, 2003.

1. I'm not too positive if this is the right forum for this as i am new. But anyway, I'm not sure if any of you know the situation that the San Antonio Symphony is in. And its probably happened before all over, but i live in San Antonio so it effects me.

They have in fact gone Bankrupt, and every single day they are in danger of not being around any longer. But i can't really blame them considering that alot of them need the symphony to make a living. But it angers me because I don't think that the people of San Antonio realise what it is that they're going to be missing out on when the Sypmhphony is gone. I have done as much as a person of my age can for them. I've written to the city council, ect...

I just feel like there isn't any type of appreciation for Orchestra in this city any more. I'm not too positive about this, but i do believe that they are going to replace the symphony with a Mariachi band. This may be South Texas, but come on...A MARIACHI??!?!?!? :bawl:

Does anyone have any ideas? Because as of now, ther is no more time. Unless there is a miracle, they will be gone. Taking with them many of the teachers and such that provide much needed lessons down here. It is a terrible loss to the youth of San Antonio. It just angers me so much!!!!!!!

2. s7on3d

s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    I'm not sure if it will help, but try to write out a letter explaining how the loss of the symphony would be equal to dooming all the musicians of future generations in San Antonio to a bleek existance. Explain how upon loosing the symphony, the best musicians (and teachers for the next generation of great musicians) in the city would be effectively exiled, having to move to another city to find a job.

Get this letter signed by as many people as you can, (effectively making it a petition) and send a copy to the mayor's office and and a copy to the biggest newspaper in San Antonio. Try to get the petition signed by WHOLE SCHOOLS and mark that "these students from _________ school signed this petition, together with their principal ________ and the whole faculty". Get it signed at colleges... Just do whatever you can to get it through the mayor's head that losing the symphony would mean that he would lose voters (as he is at the end of the day a politician)....

If you want to advise the mayor about how to save the symphony, try looking at the South African Symphony... I'm not sure how well it worked, but they tried to get corporate sponsors and it kept them afloat for a couple of years at least...

I just realised that you guys are probobly all out of school and university, so getting the patition signed will probobly mean getting some people to stand on the streets with clipboards to get people to sign... Try calling some large companies (in Houston I would have called the oil giants or big law firms... or even well known local philanthropists) , as a distressed local citizen, asking if they would be prepared to donate any $$$ to the symphony to keep San Antonio's culture alive (you'll probobly not get anywhere with this, but if you do, tell the mayor who volunteered).

Good luck with it, I hope the symphony doesn't go under... it would be such a huge loss for San Antonio.

Just on to the Mariachi idea.... WHAT WERE THEY SMOKING TO COME UP WITH THAT ONE!?

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    All this has been tried. In the end, the Symphony is a business, and it's not profitable. Face it, for the most part, San Antonio is culturally as bankrupt as the symphony is. Many, many symphonies are going out of business.

My prediction is that they'll close, and soon start up under a different name, with different backing - San Antonio Philharmonic anyone?

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

This may turn into an unwanted political discussion, but IMO symphonies should be supported by public taxes.
    They're an important part of people education.

5. Bah, i know everything has been tried. But that doesn't change the fact that it's total b.s. ((psst, it should be supported by taxes, at least then we'd know the money we pay would be going somewhere useful)) :oops:

6. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska

Not that I disagree with you, but here's where we get into the weeds with what is "usefull" or not. My contention has always been that in this country, people want everything - they just don't want to pay for it. Some people don't want their taxes to be spent on schools (I don't have kids, let someone else pay for it), let alone trying to get them to pay for the arts.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the arts should be supported. But you can't find two people in Texas, let alone San Antonio who'd want their taxes to be raised..... Shame as it is....

7. Absolutely. I know what you mean, in fact, i think we're big advocates of reducing our taxes in Texas. But im one to always be optimistic about certain things and im not going to just stand aside and wait for it to happen. ((which is probably is doing right now...)) I willl continue to be optimistic until i can't anymore. Are you in the Symphony?

8. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Now what's wrong with the Mariachi band??

9. Jazz Ad

[​IMG]

10. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska

Not me. I like to get paid :D I'm in the Air Force band here in San Antonio. The SA Symphony = 20% pay cuts. The AF Band = regular raises.

It's new math, but it's simple :)

11. Jazz Ad

So the only way for an orchestra/band to be supported by public money is to be military ?

12. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

nice tololoche:bassist: :bassist:

13. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I don't make the rules.

Please note: I didn't say I agreed with that. I would gladly pay a little more in taxes to support the arts in my community. But in Texas, land of the ever-conservative, that ain't gonna happen. It would never even make it on the ballot. I'm not saying it's right, but I'm saying that's the way it is.

14. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    It is every where symphony music is in trouble.

The town where my wife teaches has no string program at all.

Our local town the string porogram ends at 9th grade.

We, my wife and myself have been trying to get a small string ensamble to go for several years not with not much luck.

I'm 53 and one of the youngest members of the symphony I play in.

Seems that playing strings is not cool any more.

San Jose Ca lost it's symphony about a year ago.

I am very worried about the future of orchestral music in our country.
    Joe

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I love my Symphony!

It's a dam shame that the City (idiot Mayor Garza and City Manager) can pay 100's of thousands of dollars to get the Dallas Cowboys to come practice (they can't even win a fricken game), to Donald Trump to have the lame arse Miss America thing happen at Municipal Auditorium, raise the hotel motel tax for the Spurs/SBC Center, yada, yada, yada - that's why I left working at City Hall - couldn't stand the BS.

It's to my understanding they filed to reorganize assets - so hope isn't over yet.

I'm sure the musicians in the Symp did their best, Ron Noble, Craig Sorgi, et al.

god bless our musicians.

it also seems that the local Corporate backers just don't want donate money anymore, for political reasons.

dam shame!!

BTW, i'm sure whoever said that the Symphony is being replaced by a Mariachi is really misinformed.

DraconBass, don't lose the faith; just keep on with the studies and do your best at Taft HS and with YoSA (i'm a Marshall grad myself and 3 time allstate Jazz - trumpet)

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Exclusive: Performing Arts Center Proposed
    LAST UPDATE: 6/5/2003 3:28:00 PM
    Posted By: Jim Forsyth
    Listen...

1200 WOAI news has learned that an effort has begun behind the scenes at City Hall to construct a major, first class Center for the Performing Arts in San Antonio.

"A performing arts center is certainly something we need to start thinking about," Mayor Ed Garza told 1200 WOAI's Bud Little in an exclusive report. "We at least need to start planting the seed right now."

$100,000 was budgeted in the current city budget for a feasibility study for the art center, which will take an overall look at cultural arts in general, with a specific look at construction of a cultural arts center.

"There is nothing on the table right now, it's just a long term goal for the city," Garza said.

City officials say they would favor a location downtown, possibly in the West Houston Street neighborhood downtown which has developed into an arts hub.

"I would venture to predict that any investment made in the future for a performing arts center should be in or near the downtown area," Garza said.

The city has long been criticized for it's lack of a facility to house opera, performing arts, touring Broadway shows, the San Antonio Symphony, and other local arts organizations. The Symphony is currently housed in the Majestic Theater downtown, with other arts groups utilizing a myriad of facilities ranging from the 80 year old Municipal Auditorium to the Joe and Harry Freeman Coliseum, which was built to house the Stock Show and Rodeo.

It's a shame that the City has waited too long for this.

17. I will be going to the City Council meeting or whatever it is with a bunch of my orchestra friends tonight. I hope that if you're in the area and you care at all about the Symphony that you will be there. It starts at 7:00 p.m. I'm not sure where it is at as i am not the one who is driving. I apologise for lack of informtaion and time. Oh hand the Mariachi thing was a rumor....sorry about that.

18. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra is getting a new Symphony Hall. I can't wait. It's about a block from where I work downtown, so I spend a lot of time at the High Museum, which is attached to the Woodruff Arts Center.

I'm very, very lucky.

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Symphony wants more city funds

By William Pack
    San Antonio Express-News

Web Posted : 06/06/2003 12:00 AM

Supporters of the San Antonio Symphony went to the City Council on Thursday night, seeking help with their financial troubles.
    Recently, the symphony was forced to lay off half its staff and couldn't meet its payroll last Friday. The symphony's debt totals more than $1 million.

Mayor Ed Garza has said he wants to find ways to help the symphony.

Councilman Julián Castro said the council might be able to free up more money for the symphony next year, but it's hard to say how much because the newly constituted council hasn't identified its spending priorities.

Castro said the city needs to play a role in developing a comprehensive financial plan that allows the symphony to sustain itself over the long run.

Thursday's budget hearing was preceded by the first official meeting of the City Council after the election of seven new members.

Those members are in the midst of a crash course on city budgets and operations. An initial budget open house May 22 produced strong support for child care and family services, but those appeals were heard by the outgoing council.

The council started the day with a briefing on the process that will be used to develop a budget for fiscal 2004, which starts Oct. 1.

Members were asked to rank 23 "action categories," with listings like "parks," "elderly services" and "arts/culture," by Monday so those rankings can be used in establishing a priority listing of about 210 city services that will vie for general fund dollars.

The general fund, which this year exceeds $601 million, is looking at a deficit in 2004 of about $31 million, according to early estimates. But any deficit must be eliminated in a new city budget, which staff is planning to recommend to the council Aug. 14. Council members are scheduled to vote on the budget Sept. 18.

With little if any support emerging for a property tax increase, the deficit is likely to be closed with fee increases or program cuts, council members said.

Also Thursday, the council agreed to spend about $3,700 so Mayor Ed Garza can travel to Japan next week for a meeting with Toyota officials and Toyota suppliers.

City Manager Terry Brechtel and the city's international affairs director will travel with the mayor and a group of local and state officials who helped land the Toyota truck assembly plant for San Antonio.

Also, the new council drew numbers to schedule terms of service as mayor pro tem. Second-term Councilman Enrique Barrera won the first term and will act as mayor during those periods that Garza is absent or disabled through Aug. 15.

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    San Antonio Symphony plans to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

KENS 5 Eyewitness News

Web Posted : 06/11/2003 12:24 PM

The San Antonio Symphony released a statement today saying it will file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
    The symphony has struggled financially for years and this year cut their season short despite fund-raising efforts.

Check back with MySanAntonio.com throughout the day and watch KENS 5 at 5, 6 and 10 p.m. for more information on this developing story.