Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

San Diego Scene

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sharp, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    How is the music scene in San Diego, Ca? can someone with some knowledge about the place give me a quick rundown of what goes on there musically?

thanks-
    -Tom

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Are you talking about San Diego "proper", or are you including the outlying areas like La Jolla and Del Mar?

3. tea

tea

Sep 30, 2003
    Maryland
    Either way, with the exceptions of humphreys and various college "indie" shows, San Diego is hands down the worst city i've ever seen for music. its terrible. none of the musicians i met in san diego were ever serious players and the punk and neorock crap is plastered into the mindsets in a most undesirable fashion. weather's nice.

4. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    i guess i mean the whole San Diego area, La Jolla an Del Mar included.

is it really that bad? the worst?

5. tea

tea

Sep 30, 2003
    Maryland
    in my opinion...yes. but i grew up there and a lot of my resentment comes from the fact that the only good shows are the shows i couldnt go to. the del mar fair is also normally pretty good for a decent time. but yes, among the cali cities i inhabited, as well as my east coast domiciles, it is the far and above the worst.

6. HelloJerk

HelloJerk

Dec 28, 2008
    La Jolla, CA
    I know that this thread is from 2004, and anyone who was interested back then is probably not interested today, but – as a native San Diego bassist who has become semi-re-active in the scene after an almost fifteen year hiatus (I have played in garage, jam bands the entire time – I just was not active in the scene) – there seems to be more bands than people in San Diego. That being said, a lot of people go out to see unknown bands with absolutely no following – even on a typical Monday night (it must be because there is little else to do in San Diego at night).