San Fran, Seattle and Boise?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by hateater, Aug 28, 2005.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    OK, I went to Pete's Bass shop in Portland, and he is a great guy. However, most of his basses are either new, or practically new (on consignment). With my budget of 2k-3k, I was left with a pretty small choice. The bass I really liked was at the top of my budget, and I feel that maybe I could do a little better if I put more of an effort in my search.

I am in the middle of Oregon, and it seems that the three cities that are within driving distance (they all seem 5 hours or less away) are Seattle, San Francisco and Boise. When I say "the three cities", I mean a big city with the possibility of a few shops I can poke my head into. What I need from you, the talkbass member, are a few reccomendations on places to shop for a DB.

Those three cities are not the only places I am willing to go, they are more like my limits. So all of you NW talkbassers... HELP ME!
  2. You might want to check out in the SF area. He sells new Christophers as well as used.

3. I don't think San Francisco is less than five hours from the middle of Oregon. I drove from San Francisco to Olympia this last week, and I think it was bout a 14 hour drive.
  4. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Still up for any ideas!
  5. jlilley

jlilley Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Mill Creek, WA
    Three places to check out in Seattle are Hammond Ashly (in Des Moines just south of the city) and the Bass Church (located in a north Seattle neighborhood, open by appointment only) and Guitar Emporium in Ballard usually has 3 or 4 uprights.
    Hope this help,
  6. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    It all sounds good to me! PC has let me in on a 1800 dollar czech plywood that I might have to go for. After reading all about carved vs. plywood... I am starting to think that for an intermediate bassist who is in a school environment, plywood might be the way to go.
  7. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Did you check out Schubach's (sp? pronounced shoebox) in Portland?
  8. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    They are out of business. Try Maureen Pandos. She's a luthier in Portland and usually has some basses. 503-235-8954.
  9. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    AFAIK the moved from SF to Fort Bragg, which is a few hours north of SF on the coast. Looks like they've got Christopher laminates and hybrids in your range. In Sacramento (which is right off I-5) there's with a fair number of basses in that price range. I've driven from Sac to Eugene in 6 hours or so IIRC. Hope this helps.
  10. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm afraid to say so.... the pickings are slim here. There's some small shops, but there's not even one major shop that has a huge collection. I would tend to think that Hammond Ashley would sell similar basses sold at Acoustic Bass Shop or what not. I bought my Chrissy local, but that same shop doesn't sell much else unless it's a used bass and he doesn't have that many. In California, you're better off going down to Los Angeles to World of Strings or L.A. Bass Works or Lemur. 14 Hours to too far to drive for a small selection.

As a SF resident, if I had my choices, I wouldn't bother with California. I'd buy me a ticket and fly to New York where they all are and ship it somehow back home. :) Either that or there seems to be some decent sized shops in Arizona (Bass Emporium, etc.).

Anyways, SF resources:

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realize your budget is on the smaller end. One of these guys will probably end up having something you'd like. Still, I don't see why stuff in the Seattle Area wouldn't cover your price range well.
  11. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Thanks for all of the replies. Paul, the laminate is out. Fortunately, my pops has this idea in his head that I should go one step beyond a plywood and get a hybrid. So it looks like my budget just bounced up a knotch. I might end up going back to pete's and getting a romanian maple/spruce on consignment for 3k. You guys are so much more helpful than anything I could have hoped for- peace!
  12. azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    See what Upton has for sale in a hybrid or fully carved bass. He offers an approval period (or did last I knew) so if it is not to your liking you can send it back. Upton Basses also have a 5 year warranty.

I have a laminated UB Hawkes model and it blows the competition it its price range away by far. Give Gary Upton a call.

13. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Will check em out!
  14. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Hat,
    (get it? It's a drum joke ;) )

Here are the bass shops that I know of in the NW in addition to Pete's. I'll agree Pete is a terrific guy and a hard working luthier.

Barrett Basses (may be just making, I could be wrong. Don't know him well, but he has a good rep)
    3157 Center Road
    Chimacum, WA 98325
    (360) 732-4100

Hammond Ashely Violins
    19825 Des Moines Memorial Dr.
    Seattle, WA 98148

The Bass Church
    9716 Phinney Ave. N.
    Seattle, WA 98103

Richard Moffit - Cat Man Music
    41204 E. Squaw Mountain Rd.
    Estacada, OR 97023

All in all, I'd say you're pretty well surrounded by alot of good shops. In that price range you can also check out the bluegrass shops, which are legion in that part of the country. Some of those guys have some treasures stashed away and some good workhorse instruments.

Good luck!
  15. You might try Ken Cartwright. He had some nice Christophers the last time I talked with him. He is in Stayton, OR

Cartwright's Music Repair 349 N 3rd Ave
    Stayton, OR 97383 - 1725
    (503) 769-2778
  16. Hey, there. I'm an EB'r, just passing by, but if you go to Seattle, the Hammond Ashley shop everyone's talking about is supposed to be great. They've got a selection in your price range, too.

My understanding is that they have new and consignment stuff, as well. Check 'em out.