San Francisco Scene

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jambassist, Jul 30, 2004.

1. jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    can anyone tell me if the original music scene in san francisco is really as good as i've heard? my best friend and bandmate just moved out there with his girl. i'd like to follow him out later this year and re establish our band. thinking of maybe going as an acoustic guitar/bass duo to start. got lots of material and can throw in some covers too.

any websites you can give me, places to contact, or other information will be greatly appreciated.

2. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Hey dude, I'm from Sacramento, but we play in San Francisco quite a bit. San Fran has a lot of really cool places to play, but the good ones are really hard to get into if you don't have an established reputation in the area. A really good press kit helps too. If you go to my web site and contact 'Tash' she can help you out with contacts in the Bay Area. She books all of our shows and stuff. Depending on the type of music you are playing she can probably give you the names and numbers of some bands to talk to about opening for and such. Tell her 'Josh' sent you :)
  3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    SF scene sucks harder then any other city.
  4. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Why do you say that? Some of the best shows we've had were in the bay area.
  5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I think it was a play on words.
  6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    To each their own I guess. We happen to be doing very well in the bay area, San Francisco and Berklee specifically. I don't know what your experience was, but it doesn't sound like it was that great. That sucks dude.
  7. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    In my experience, it's a good scene. In comparison to NYC, it seems less serious (or more "chill" if you prefer)...that can be good and bad...getting a show isn't necessarily too hard but sometimes booking managers forget and overbook a show, or a band flakes and doesn't show up (both of these have happened to me). Same thing with musicians - a flexibility/flakiness tradeoff sometimes. Maybe that's the case everywhere, or maybe I've got funny luck.

There's a bunch of good bands and good musicians, and a good number of places to play out in my opinion. Alot of stuff happens at in the musicians section, but just as much happens through word of mouth.

Bassists (and drummers) are always in short supply.

8. Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    The Mission district in SF, and the club Bruno's, in particular is home to a very interesting scene. Adam Theis has had the Tuesday night slot for over a year and rotates his bands + friends through. You can see the huge musician network he is tapped into every Tuesday when he assembles some of the best musicians in the bay area (esp. horn players). He plays a 7 string bass, trombone, and Kaos pad, frequently at the same time (courtesy of a Gibson Echoplex). Incredibly diverse range of projects. From the Low End Theory (4 trombones, keys, bass, drums) to the Shotgun Wedding Hip Hop Symphony (rapper/violinist, string quartet, acoustic bass, 3 reed players that double on clarinet, flute, and sax, Adam, drums, and a DJ). There is also the Realistic Orchestra which is in the traditional big band format plus vibraphone but does nontraditional big band stuff (how about Van Halen's Hot for Teacher?).

Check out: