San Francisco Used Bass Shops?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Feb 27, 2005.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I'll be in SF week after next. Any cool music shops I shuold check out? Pawn shops?

2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Fat Dawgs...and this also applies to your other "vintage bass shop" thread. The prices are more like $800 than $8,000.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Fat Dog's Subway Guitars does have interesting things and has the greatest cult status of all bay area stores, but 1) it's in Berkeley and 2) the stuff is not all that great for the price, IMO.

For a good SF store, check out Real Guitars andRocker Guitars, both not too far from the local GC on Mission street. 6th street has a lot of pawn shops, but the pickins are slim.

Do a search. This has been covered before.
  4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Subway is :spit:

It's the biggest collection of garbage this side of the Martinez landfill. Go to Rocker, Real, and GC. If you travel, go south on 101 to Gelb in Redwood City for great new gear or farther south to San Jose and Guitar Showcase for the used stuff.
  5. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I wasn't necessarily debating the merits of the store....just making a bay area suggestion where one could find odd-ball oldies on a budget (specifically requested by the poster). However, because I'm in Chicago, I'm glad that other, possibly more appropriate, suggestions have been made from those in the area.
  6. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Everything Blackbird said. Subway Guitars is not a place I'd recommend.

Real and Rocker are good, albeit somewhat expensive. You should check out the store of TB's own Benjamin Strange, Haight-Ashbury Music... in a good part of town to visit overall, as well. 35-40 minutes south of the city is Gelb Music, which stocks a lot of very nice, high-end instruments (F-bass, Zon, Lakland, Smith, Lull, etc).
  7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you head down the penninsula, then check out Gelb Music in Redwood City. Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto is also a fun shop, but has limited bass selection. Although, they do carry Rick Turner instruments. If you make it all the way to San Jose, then Guitar Showcase is the place to be. They are the local Alembic dealer and have a pair of Entwhistle Spider basses in a case to see. Most of the other Alembics are hanging out where you can actually play them.
  8. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I know and I must restrain myself in the future. I apologize. But that place is really taking advantage of people through the mythology of Antiques Roadshow Syndrome. You know the one, where all the garbage in Grandma's basement is worth a fortune?
  9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You should come say hello to me at Haight Asbury Music. We've got a used Lakland 5 string and a Pedulla fiver in as well. We've got about 170 basses in stock right now, with way too many more on the way. And don't go to GC. They just moved to a new location, which is ultra swank and ultra corporate. They don't have anything cool anymore at all. Pooey.