1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

San Francisco

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cheesemonkey, Mar 15, 2008.

1. So I am here in San Fransisco for Spring Break and i went down to the guitar center to try out a couple of basses while the rest of my family was doing shopping. Awesome guitar center got to try out a nice bongo 5 strings. The Houston guitar center is no where near as aswesome. I'm bored so that is why i'm posting this.

2. get drunk, now.

3. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    Never been. However, the one in San Jose was mighty nice. The bass section had a whole corner and there were even some displayed on the floor. No bass room though.:crying:

Added bonus: we got lost on the way home and found a steak burger joint. :hyper:

4. You should check out S.F. Guitar Works and Rocker Guitars while you're in S.F.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    The Guitar Center here is good, (I have been to the Houston one many times and think SF is better), but even better than that are the many small, independent retailers and luthiers in this area.

6. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you're still in the area of the SF GC then go down the street (toward downtown) a half mile or so and have some buffalo-beer stew at Tommy's Joynt. :bassist:

7. Which Houston one do you go to? There are three in the Houston area. The Westheimer one has a pretty good selection, the Northside store is a complete joke, and the one in Clear Lake is decent. I live closest to the CL one, so that's where I go for strings/etc.

8. I've only been to the westheimer one. Its decent but the one in S.F. is much better in my opinion. I can't check out the other ones for four days (leaving to trucky to ski) i didn't go to them at first because GC is the only real big name store but i'll check them out when i get the chance. No beef-beer for me... i'm underage and vegetarian.

9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    If you can manage it, get down to Redwood City (about 20 min south of San Francisco) and check out Gelb Music (I'm not affiliated).
    One of the best high-end bass selections I've ever seen, anywhere.

Also, get a chocolate sundae at Ghirardelli Square.

10. Never got one of the sudae's but i go there everytime im in SF and get some awesome Ghirardelli chocolate

11. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    So much beer in SF. So little time. Check out Ocean Beach too. Killer waves. There should be swell in the water right now. It's starting to hit us down here in HB.

12. casualmadness

casualmadness

Dec 15, 2005
    VA
    +1

13. YES!!!!:bassist:

14. well my last day in trucker. Leaving to monterey tomorrow so no more bass stores for me. I'm typing this all on my sisters iPod which my thumb takes up half of the keyboard. Did get to play some bass yesterday. A band was setting up to play at one of the ski lodges and the bassist let me play hos bass

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I best get myself to SF in the near future.

16. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Watch out picking up change from the sidewalk.

17. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    OOOHHHH!!!!!!

hey cheesemonkey, if you went to the fisherman's wharf, did you see that creepy old bum that hides behind a bush and growls at people?

that guy is AWESOME!!! when I saw him, he made some chick jump into the street she was so surprised!

18. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    So true. There is a large gay population here in San Francisco and they're all savage, lascivious, rapists who prey on any male that so much as bends over. I live here in SF and gay men are constantly raping me. :rollno: :rolleyes: :mad:

19. The Bushman! I'ts funny watching him terrorize tourists.

20. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    He actually not a creepy old bum, either. He's been there about a zillion years. At least he's more interesting than the three dozen identical tee shirt shops that line the wharf.