Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

San Joaquin Valley (Fresno/Bakersfield/etc.) folk

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Dec 3, 2003.

1. What does the Tulare lake bed look like? I'm from the Midwest, which has lots of rivers and lakes and such, so I have no idea what a drained lake would look like.

Is it all marshy and stuff, or do they grow cotton/rice in it, or what?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Well... a dried lake around here... it would probably be just sandy... probably growth of what we call fox tails, dont know what they are called other places...

I have seen what the specific place you are talking about, but i do know what dried lake looks like... most of the lakes around bako are man made.

They probably could grow stuff on it.. though once you get up towards tulare, it is mainly dairies... the food farms are in southern tulare and Kern counties... and then start back up again past Fr**no.

(Oh, and fresno, why does our Hockey team always kick your team's ass? Like, when you were having your first game in your new stadium, we whooped up an you guys! 1-4 in favor of bakersfield! FALCONS SUCK!!!)

:p

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Oh, and this is not rice country... the southern and central valley is mainly potatos, carrots, corn, cotton, watermelon, and that stuff... then up north its all wineries... so ya.

4. The only time I've ever seen the San Joaquin Valley is when I drove north out of LA on I-5. That's gotta be one of the ugliest, most boring drives imaginable. Nebraska is a thrill a minute by comparison.

The Sacramento Valley's a little more pleasant, but not much.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Well, I-5 does suck big ones.... it takes you around the cities to avoid traffic... Actually, you passed my house.... coulda gotten off at stockdale highway, driven east for 10-20 minutes, then come and killed me... but ya, i5 is in the boonies, but thats good cause it reduces traffic on 99.... and 99 reduces i5 traffic... so la la la.

6. (bump)

Anyone? I'm not about to make a drive up from LA just to see a dry lake bed... :p

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Bah. Dude. Tulare sucks. Don't go there.

If you just have to come up here... Come up here one saturday and we will go see a local jazz group called Mentu Buru.... they pwn all that can be pwned. and my teacher are the bassist...

plus, they play at some mexifood joint every saturday night, so we can get loaded while were at it.

:ninja:

8. Ever hear of the Tully Fog? that's about all you will see in Tulare this time of the year.
    Insted head northwest from LA on the 101 to the 1 scenic coast route.. go to Big Sur. have fun Pete

9. Oh, man, I love Big Sur. I drove it in October. I saw more seals and sea otters than I thought I'd ever see in my life.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    mmmm big sur....such good

11. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Peter, being a Bakersfieldian myself I would not rank I-5 or the Tulare lake bed high on your list of things to see in Cali. Speaking of Bakersfield though, if you are forced to come through, we do offer:

1. Killer Basque food (Think really nice meat entree (beef or lamb) with an eccletic series of side dishes including cabbage soup, pickled tounge and french fries with lots of garlic. Trust me it's all good.)
    2. Killer Mexican food. (Shrimp & crab enchiladas mmmm)
    3. A pretty decent guitar store with the definitive collection of original Mosrite guitars and basses. (Front Porch Music on 19th Street)
    4. And of course, the Buck Owens Crystal Palace. Buck and the Buckaroos play many a Friday and Saturday night. So give us a call and we'll party.

12. I found a website with pictures of the lake bed, actually. I can see why it'd be low on the list. :oops:

Anyhow, I doubt I'll get out of downtown LA much once I'm at USC. Classes will keep me very busy. (Four words: "Statistical Methods for Economists." :eek: )

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Front Porch is good if you want some vintage shizzle... or if you are looking to toke up on the ganja...

The Buskers is pretty cool... except for the outrageously greedy Jewish guy that owns the place.

Then Stockdale is even more cool... assuming you know how to work them... And assuming you are related to the owner... which means you can get some hefty discounts... *cough* not that I can do these things at all... *cough*

But ya. You should come up here, and we can go to Amigos and watch Mentu.. I bet even Max likes Mentu Buru.