1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

San Luis Obispo Stuff to do/Luthiers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by beelzelboss, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Talkbass, I just moved from Las Vegas to San Luis Obispo for college, and I'm now in need of a couple of things.

First off, my dad is coming into town this weekend. What would you suggest as good father son activities? We have going to Hertz castle on the list, but I'd like to do other stuff with him. Our relationship has been slightly rocky lately, and I'm hoping to repair it this weekend. (Also any tips on that would be awesome).

Second, I'd like to know if you guys know of a luthier here that does a good job at setting up a bass, or anywhere that I should visit that is music related.

Thanks guys!

edit: Music Mans are made here, but I already contacted them about a factory tour. They no longer offer them because there insurance has changed :(

2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Unfortunately there isn't too much in the music business there. Probably the best guitar shop is still going to be Lightning Joe's in Arroyo Grande. There's a few other hole in the wall shops that cater more to beginner/school band instrument type situations.
    Correct Ernie Ball does not do tours.

Hearst Castle is good. It's been a long while since I hung out in that area, but there always seemed to be car shows going on. I used to enjoy catching Jazz concerts at Cuesta College. In the summertime, the fairgrounds in Paso Robles will be really busy with bands coming through.
    So much of that area has turned into wine tasting places since I lived down there.

3. I used to live up in Monterey, but made the trip down to San Simeon once. Hearst Castle is really cool. I took the upstairs bedrooms tour and that was pretty neat. I'm sure any of them are good. I'll have to visit again if I'm ever out that way.

4. A long time friend of mine from L.A. and I from Northern California get together once a year for the last 16 years in SLO. Over the course of time we've pretty much covered it but every year we find something new.

1) Avilo Beach- a great pier to walk out on and a nice place to just hike around.

2) of course hearst castle. If you haven't been just take the basic tour for your first shot and get reservations in advance. If the tours are full you might have to wait a few hours for the next vacancies.

3) There's a bunch of hiking possibilities around the area. Between SLO and Atascadero there's a regional park we discovered last year. Beautiful.

4) if you're more of an urban type, just walking around downtown is great. The mission, Gumball alley, coffee shops, pool halls are all easy walks and small town atmosphere.

5) the local SLO Blues Society has regular shows at the Vet Hall and I've see some very cool acts there. Check for a calendar.

5. Time Monkey

Time Monkey Banned

Jan 9, 2009
    California
    Go to the Frog and Peach for a pint.

McClintock's in pismo is delicious...

Splash Cafe in pismo also has the best chowder around. They have one in SLO too.... but it is teh suck, i think.

The bar across from splash cafe, i want to say its called harrys, its really cool. lots of memorabilia from the various legends that have been in there. I wanna say john madden proposed to his wife in there.

Pismo/oceano dunes if you have a 4x4 or a quad.

the list goes on.......

6. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

The last time I went that direction I enjoyed checking out the 9 dead volcanoes in and around that area. Morro rock is one of them. You can drive around the base but you can't climb it.

7. Cool.

My dad was in town and we ended up going out to the Castle. It was pretty intense. I called around to a couple of luthiers in town and the only person was butch, who is pretty expensive :(. At least more expensive that what a college student can afford. :(