Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sanamp BDDI or RBI ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by afroman, Jan 21, 2003.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I own a Sansamp Bass Driver DI an I love it, but i'm gonna swith very soon to a power amp/pre-amp setup. My pre-amp will be the BDDI.

My question is, if the BDDI will work well in this setup or is the RBI worth the $120 more. I have a mid control on my onboard bass pre-amp so really the mid control that the RBI has and the BDDI doesn't isn't so important to me.

WIll the BDDI be ok with a power amp (Carvin DCM1000) or is the RBI worth the extra $$$ ??

Any help is welcome

Thanks...

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I agonized over the same decision. I've been very happy with my RBI driving a DCM1000.

A few months ago, a friend was over that had a BDDI - it was interesting to compare. I felt the RBI was much easier to dial in due to the mid control. Also, I found the RBI was considerably hotter than the BDDI - I had to almost max the pedal gain to drive the amp to the same level as the RBI.

I personally think an RBI is the way to go for permanent duty as a preamp, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a BDDI as a backup preamp - they both sound good.

3. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I swear by the RBI. People are always very impressed by the tones I get with it running into the PA (hey, I can't afford a decent rig right now) and it's the best thing you can get for direct recording without buying a high-dollar tube preamp. I have yet to run it with a power-amp and cab set-up but I've heard really good reviews from people that run such a rig. It's definitley worth getting over the BDDI. I was dead set on the idea of buying a BDDI until I tried the RBI and realised that it was much wiser to throw down the extra money on the RBI. It does a lot more I sounds slightly better in general.

4. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    I love the BDDI.
    I play it thru my guitar amp (yes, I know,...) and even in that way this pedal shines and I can get a very decent sound (imagine that, hum!!).
    Latelly, I've recorded using the BDDI and I just love the sound (full, punchy, growl).
    I don't know nothing about the RBI, but from what I've read (e.g., other internet sites > harmony-central) people really like it (sometimes even more than the BDDI).
    Can anyone tell me if the RBI is better for recording than the BBDI?

Cheers.