1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sanamp BDDI or RBI ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by afroman, Jan 21, 2003.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I own a Sansamp Bass Driver DI an I love it, but i'm gonna swith very soon to a power amp/pre-amp setup. My pre-amp will be the BDDI.

My question is, if the BDDI will work well in this setup or is the RBI worth the $120 more. I have a mid control on my onboard bass pre-amp so really the mid control that the RBI has and the BDDI doesn't isn't so important to me.

WIll the BDDI be ok with a power amp (Carvin DCM1000) or is the RBI worth the extra $$$ ??

Any help is welcome

Thanks...

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I agonized over the same decision. I've been very happy with my RBI driving a DCM1000.

A few months ago, a friend was over that had a BDDI - it was interesting to compare. I felt the RBI was much easier to dial in due to the mid control. Also, I found the RBI was considerably hotter than the BDDI - I had to almost max the pedal gain to drive the amp to the same level as the RBI.

I personally think an RBI is the way to go for permanent duty as a preamp, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a BDDI as a backup preamp - they both sound good.

3. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I swear by the RBI. People are always very impressed by the tones I get with it running into the PA (hey, I can't afford a decent rig right now) and it's the best thing you can get for direct recording without buying a high-dollar tube preamp. I have yet to run it with a power-amp and cab set-up but I've heard really good reviews from people that run such a rig. It's definitley worth getting over the BDDI. I was dead set on the idea of buying a BDDI until I tried the RBI and realised that it was much wiser to throw down the extra money on the RBI. It does a lot more I sounds slightly better in general.

4. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    I love the BDDI.
    I play it thru my guitar amp (yes, I know,...) and even in that way this pedal shines and I can get a very decent sound (imagine that, hum!!).
    Latelly, I've recorded using the BDDI and I just love the sound (full, punchy, growl).
    I don't know nothing about the RBI, but from what I've read (e.g., other internet sites > harmony-central) people really like it (sometimes even more than the BDDI).
    Can anyone tell me if the RBI is better for recording than the BBDI?

Cheers.